A call out to the "ZE" Gods!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Trevor

A call out to the "ZE" Gods!!!

Post by Trevor »

I need big time help! I'm fresh out of Ideas. Hears the story a couple weeks ago I was driving around I nailed the gas reving it up around 5000 to 5500 rpm and all of a sudden my engine died!!!! It felt like thefuel had just got cut off from the engine. I pulled over, popped the hood to see if I could see anything wrong, wiggled fuel related wires, got in my car started it up. I started driving again, I hit about 3000 rpm before I shifted out of first and the car died out again. I figured I could drive the car around if I kept it under 3000 rpm, and I did and nursed it to my shop. My boss and I ran some tests to try to figure out what my problem was and came up with nothing. I tried switching over to my stock K8 crank sensor, tried to start the car up and it wouldnt start at all now. I switched back to the other sensor and still nothing!!!!! I have no spark, no fuel, a new distributor, tried a new crank sensor and my old K8 ECU I still have no spark, no fuel, but I the car does crank, it just wont kick over. The car is a 92 with a curve neck KLZE and a KL31 ECU. The fuel pump works, I jumpered it through the diagnostic connector. I tested the battery and alternator, they are fully charged. The starter obviously works since its cranking. Everyone that I have asked around here thinks its my computer. Help me please!!!!!!!!
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

that sounds like your distributor. Is the new disty you have brand new or rebuilt? It's not uncommon for the rebuilt ones to crap out right away.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

It's a Brand New Disty
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Throw your old K8 ECU in with a KLDE and see if it runs. Then you can eliminate the computer. Otherwise, I'd say it's your distributor also ......... I don't care if it's 'new'. Alot of people have gotten bum rebuilds. I think the slow failing disty doesn't test as bad in the short run on the test bench at the rebuilder, so they leave the faulty part in.
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

If your car drops at 5500 RPMS and you pull over and then 1-2 minutes later you can start it again it sounds like the distributer. Consider doing the external HEI mod - even a new or rebuilt disty can have this problem.
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Trevor wrote:It's a Brand New Disty
Where did you get a brand new one? I dont even know if they sell them brand new unless you buy them from the dealer where they cost over $1000.

The first thing i would do is return that disty to wherever you got it and exchange it for another one.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

the the hei mod on gro's site..I'm 90% sure that your disty is bad...but that wouldn't explain no fuel..
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
chertel

Post by chertel »

At the mazda dealer in edmonton, (Weber Motors) A new disty is just over five hundered dollars. Not well over $1000. I did some looking around and found a new one for $400 with a good warranty. I just had problems with my old distributor and was going to do the external hei mod found on gro's site but am going on vacation soon and working lots so decided to just try a new distributor so if you bought a new one it should be guaranteed for a certain amount of time.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Ok everyone seems to think it's still my disty even though it's new. so what I'm going to do tommorow night is take the new disty out of my car and install it in my buddy's mx-3 which runs to see if infact my new disty is a dud or not.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Shot in the dark, no fuel being spewed into the cylinders either? Perhaps a quick check of some main relays, fuses and breakers. Pull them out inspect and put back in.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Also check the timing. It may have jumped when you were running it hard. I'm not possitive, but we are having the same problem with a "just swapped ZE" and I have yet to source the problem. The disty checks out fine, the wiring to the disty checks out fine, the ECU is not the problem, the disty was put on another members ZE and it ran fine, the timing was just done but may have been done incorrectly. And I am also out of ideas other than the timing. We also raplaced the crank sensor, but it didn't fix anything.
Anyway I'm checking the timing tomorrow and I'll let you know what happens.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

PATDIESEL wrote:Also check the timing. It may have jumped when you were running it hard. I'm not possitive, but we are having the same problem with a "just swapped ZE" and I have yet to source the problem. The disty checks out fine, the wiring to the disty checks out fine, the ECU is not the problem, the disty was put on another members ZE and it ran fine, the timing was just done but may have been done incorrectly. And I am also out of ideas other than the timing. We also raplaced the crank sensor, but it didn't fix anything.
Anyway I'm checking the timing tomorrow and I'll let you know what happens.
Even off by one or a bunch of teeth on the belt, you should still get fuel to the cylinders, it's just not firing on compression stroke.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
msequence

Post by msequence »

I have the same exact problem on my ZE... apparently from the ECU there is a distributor trigger wire.. that might be bad... I will check it tonite. and let you know.. .. and no.. I Like how everyone goes.. disty.. bla bla bla.. not all problems are disty related.. its just a common joe schmoe response..

peace

mattski
Green Metallic Sparkle 1994 KLZE Mazda Mx6 - Show car / 1992 KLZE - MS08 MX3 - Daily driver
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

well seeing as the symptoms that were described went inline with disty problems that would be why everyone would say that. Mechanics would do the same thing if they knew the symptoms of the common problem and the car came in with them. You need to understand that this is the internet and we arent at the car to confirm this. We give answers based on what we are told. Its like someone coming on and saying "my car makes a squeaking noise while braking, unless we're there to actually witness the problem then we need to go back on common problems based on the symptoms
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Well I'm still stumped and probably going to get Chanko to take his car to a mechanic to look at. It is not the disty, timing, ecu, wires, plugs, crank sensor, grounding.

Good luck with your problem...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”