Seriously looking into Mazdaspeed struts

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
sk8erdude802

Seriously looking into Mazdaspeed struts

Post by sk8erdude802 »

Non-problem part
(introduction)

Ok, Im tired of riding on the same springs and struts that came with the car. I bought the purple beast (93 GS SE) about a year ago and found out the springs had been "altered".... Not by me, but none the less the springs are not the same as when they rolled off the floor. A friend said they had been heated and shrunk or something. Moving on.

Problem part
Ive been searching through the archives for a week or so now and have decided that I really like the idea of mazdaspeed struts w/ H&R or B+G springs. I would go with koni inserts but I kinda freaked out about cutting the struts I have now ( I think thats how it works)...so the question comes down to A) Are the MS struts better than the konis/ worth the extra $$ or am I just being a baby about the konis? B) Is corksport the best place to buy theses (MS or koni)?

Thanks in advance.
Steve-O
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Look to spend A LOT on the mazdaspeeds.... like 2X as much as a tokico or equivalent.

The ZX2 S/R struts are a good, cheaper alternative.. I would check those out.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

From what I read several people were unhappy with the ZX2 cause they were breaking/blowing. Most of those people were riding on the Suspension tecniques springs. Also are the ZX2s adjustable? The whole blowen in under 2 yrs steered me away from that. I guess those are just the horror stories though. Anyone got nice ZX2 stories the would like to share?
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

the people who think they blew their zx2's don't know what a blown strut is. I've ran over 3 different sets of zx2's on 3 differnet cars i've owned and no problems. My protege had 2" lowering springs with those struts and I drove it well over 2 yeras like that with no problems.

My mx3 currently has eibach/zx2's on it and rides amazingly well
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Get the Koni adjustables.

Definetely the best strut.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

On a scale of 1 to 10 how hard is it to modify your struts to go with the konis? Ive got a pretty good record in the shop but Im still worried Ill completly jack the struts and have my car sitting around till I find new ones. For the shopping list do I need anything else but the springs and strut inserts? like boots or something?

Thanks again for all the usefull information. The konis are starting to look more possible. As for the ZX2s. I think from reading up on that it takes to much effort compared to the konis to install. But then again, Im basing that statement for my reading.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

It`s very easy.
It says on the box how you measure how much from the top of the strut you have to cut of.

I believe you drill a hole in the bottom first (in the center!!)

then you just remove the stock internals and empty it of oil.
Then press the Koni`s in, and bolt them from the bottom.

Very easy, if you just are careful and take your time.
I`m guessing about 10-15min pr.strut in modification.

nope-mx3
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

ya curious myself, do you actually have to hacksaw off the bottom after draining it?

My buddy installed some in his maxima but that was a looong time ago and i dunno what he did
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Koni install directions here... http://www.koni-na.com/pdf/boltstrut.pdf
Image -Jim
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

Read that PDF and now I think the cutting wont be so bad but now what Im getting is that all your using from the original is the housing, right? what makes the strut adjustable? Im set on it now though. Four of those bad boys are going to be sent directly to my house. Thanks for all the info.

Steve-O
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

For anyone following this I just bought the strut inserts at http://www.shox.com They came to a total of 532 rather than the 636 that corksport wanted for them. Shipping was free to the US. Ill have the cash for the springs next Friday. Radioshack is a great place to work at.

::finger crossed::
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ya. the modifications aren't that bad, I think it's harder to drill the hole in the center than to cut the strut assembly, the cutting takes more work, but to get the hole centered is a PITA.

The strut has a ring on the top in which you turn to adjust the stiffness setting, but it must be done while they are off the car and compressed fully. Apparently the adjustment is sensitive and can be easilly damaged. Myself, due to time constraints and knowing my luck, I left them at whatever setting they came out of the box at (which may be the stiffest setting which would explain why they didn't want to tighten, but I was also affraid of breaking them, so I didn't try too hard).

Those struts pairs with the B+G springs performed amazingly, although the car's stance is lower than I expected, but hasn't caused any problem with bottoming out, they were worth every penny of the ~C$1000 it cost me.
Last edited by Nd4SpdSe on July 29th, 2005, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote: The strut has a ring on the top in which you turn to adjust the stiffness setting, but it must be done while they are off the car and compressed fully.
There is no ring on the top.
You just have to pus the rod all the way to the bottom, and gently turn it around, and you`ll feel a slot it "falls" into, then carefully turn according to the instructions.

nope-mx3
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

nope-mx3 wrote:
Nd4SpdSe wrote: The strut has a ring on the top in which you turn to adjust the stiffness setting, but it must be done while they are off the car and compressed fully.
There is no ring on the top.
You just have to pus the rod all the way to the bottom, and gently turn it around, and you`ll feel a slot it "falls" into, then carefully turn according to the instructions.

nope-mx3
Great, so I was reading the instructions wrong :shock: :oops:
(Does that suprise me...not really)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

Is there a cheaper place to buy the springs besides corksport. I know that oemfordparts.com sells the eibachs cheaper from a post I read but I still have a week to choose the spring Ill be riding. I have a problem with bottoming out going over bumps and stuff now as a result of the condition of my suspension . So I dont want to be riding on the ground as a result of the drop. Does any of you guys feel that that extra .2 inches matters between the B+G (1.3 front ,1.0 back), Eibach (1.3,1.0), and the H&R (1.5,1.3)?
Last edited by sk8erdude802 on July 30th, 2005, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”