Just got the car, have no idea what i have...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
PayUpSuka

Just got the car, have no idea what i have...

Post by PayUpSuka »

All i know is its a 1994 Mazda MX-3.. it has the 1.6L DOHC I-4 with the auto trans.. I want to know everything bout this engine.. is it good for modding? reliability? what ever you know bout this motor, please tell me. I hope i posted in the right section, this forum is huge and has alot of sections.

-Mike
1994 ATX MX-3... Mods: waiting for some.. :)
Cpl_Bryant

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

Search the forum. Read a LOT. You will find everything you want to know.
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/cplbryant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PayUpSuka

Post by PayUpSuka »

I've searched and looked, its just that i don't understand half the stuff on here. I just want to learn around this motor/car. If someone would be nice and point me in the right direction that would be great (i.e. with some links) I just want to see if this current engine is worth modding or stuff like that. I just want to learn, thats all. :)
1994 ATX MX-3... Mods: waiting for some.. :)
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

well lets see here i know that you can put a turbo on it, do the atx to mtx swap, there are mods that you can do to it but if you really wanna know use the search function and type in 1.6L DOHC or B6DE and u should be able to find out what u want
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
Jarago

Post by Jarago »

is there alot of km's on the car?
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Start by modding the tranny. Add an auxiliary transmission fluid cooler. The ford/mazda atx is not known for effective trans fluid circulation/cooling. Not a glamorous mod but worth spending the few bucks and some time to install. Also check out the MX-3.com home page online shop manual or invest in a factory shop manual if you want to learn more about the MX-3 fast. Great resource to dig into when you read some of those posts and don't understand everything being talked about. Necessary for figuring out diagnostics and all kinds of repairs too. Here's a solid tutorial site on engines and cars in general. It's searcheable and explains the car's basic systems clearly with animated color graphics too. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ Learn the essential function of the car's systems like suspension, drivetrain, electrical, engine, and the description of various mods to those systems will make more sense. G'luck.

Now start drinking from that fire hose. :wink:
Image -Jim

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”