Emission Test Questions! (Need Help Fast!)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kylekizzle

Emission Test Questions! (Need Help Fast!)

Post by kylekizzle »

Hey Guys,

This morning I went for a re-test and my car failed again of course. I put the coleman fuel in the tank and it passed while running @ 2500rpm but when they idle it it always seems to fail I get the same readings with or without the coleman fuel in my tank. I am totally bummed I dont know what to do to make this car pass and the guys at the shop told me they could do a emissions diagnostic on the car to see why it is failing. Although I remember reading on here that they cannot diagnostic the KL31 or KL36 ecu's only if the 10 and gnd pins are jumped. The readings were low low for the 2500rpm test and then for the idle test the CO% limit was 1.50 and I was spitting 3.something that was the ONLY thing it failed Any suggestions on what I can do to pass or anything or if it can even be diagnostic'd lemme know asap as my permit expires on monday.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated guys!!

Thanks,
Kyle
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

just do small things like change air filter definitly check ur catalitic converter get an engine flush or get the stuff at a canadian tire that garantees u to pass emissions my bro did it and he had almost no co% i mean almost none. replace pcv valve possibly oil change and go out and drive the complete s--- out of the car to try and blow the carbon out. go down a back road floor it and do this at least 2-3 times.
Paylrider

Emmision Test

Post by Paylrider »

I was told to drive about 20 minutes on a major highway, 120 to 130 km/h just before the test. Also there is an additive GM dealers have, you put it in the oil and gas, drive a few hundred km, then change the oil, I will try to find out what it is called exactly on Monday, as I forget right now.
kylekizzle

Post by kylekizzle »

Yea but why would I need to check my CAT I mean it passes fine when its running @ 2500rpm its just when its idling it fails. Anyone else please help!!!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

kylekizzle wrote:Yea but why would I need to check my CAT I mean it passes fine when its running @ 2500rpm its just when its idling it fails. Anyone else please help!!!
Kyle, I called tonight to go over this over the phone but no answer. Did you do all of the things we discussed before, clean air filter? new plugs? (ensure you have the right ones), O2 sensors? how many times has the TPS been adjusted? Is the TPS within tolerances as per the manual? Is the IAC within specs as per manual? Have you previously run some Fuel injector cleaner through the gas. tank? Are you running 94 octane? where's your air idle screw set at? Do you have the correct ECU/Vaf combo? What are they? Have you cleaned your TB? Is every stinking hose/vaccum line been checked and double checked for integrity? Is intake tubing airtight (absolutely no leaks)? Is the cat plugged? Have you checked for CEL codes via the diag box? Did you do the coleman fuel procedure correctly?
When all else fails after all of those, take the car down to a GOOD shop and have them analyse it rather than chasing your tail and possibly spending needless $$ and/or go to the Mazda shop get them to inspect the engine (serial number and engine/head codes) to verify it being a KLZE and not the original K8 engine then have them make an official declaration on their letterhead specifying that it was inspected and found to have a replacement engine that was not of factory specs for that make of vehicle or an option so as to be e-tested in a different category (hot rod I believe). There is better info on this BB wrt e-test for hot rod status ....do a search....try looking for a post by nd4spdSe about 4 months back or so. Don't give up Kyle. :2thumbsup:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Kyle , answer some of theses and perhaps others may be able to help also.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
kylekizzle

Post by kylekizzle »

I have done some of those things, although the TPS adjustment and stuff I am really un-sure of doing, I have changed the plugs(not sure if they are the perfect ones, I think they are thou), I just got a new air filter about a month ago, the o2 sensors have not come in yet, I haven't done a TPS adjustment, I am unsure what IAC is?, I ran some fuel injector cleaner through my system, no clue what my idle screw is set at, my ECU is KL31 and my VAF is JE50, I haven't cleaned the TB, I think all the vaccum lines are in the right spots, I have no clue how to check if the cat is plugged and thats about it? I also changed my fuel filter and I recently changed the oil last weekend.
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

at pep boys here you can pic up a fuel additive called "guarenteed to pass", run that with bp super gasoline and your golden
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”