some minor problems...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
93mx3v6

some minor problems...

Post by 93mx3v6 »

1- changed my wires today (got new ones) and i noticed that in the front 3 and i diddnt check the back, there were small ammounts of oil sitting at the bottom of the hole where the spark plug screws in. small ammounts.
whats that mean? good or bad or normal?

2- seems to be smoking a little, when idling its not bad atall, you can hardly see the smoke but when you rev it up higer blue smoke comes out, not a whole lot, but enough that you can see it. and when driving behind the car, you cant smell oil or anything, should i be worried?

3- i think it always happens, but i only notice it sometimes, but when i speed up fast (usually when im between buildings or on a road going by cars) i can hear a rattling when my rpms get higher... its nothing to do with exhaust, thats all good. sounds like a bearing maybe?? it after like 4000 and stop immedietly as soon as i push the clutch in to go to the next gear

4- technical question here, will a rear pass. wheel bearing from a 94 4cyl. fit a 93 v-6? i asked if a rear coil spring would and tunes said it was weaker so dont bother. same idea with bearing?

thanks guys.
mxmaz

Re: some minor problems...

Post by mxmaz »

93mx3v6 wrote:1- changed my wires today (got new ones) and i noticed that in the front 3 and i diddnt check the back, there were small ammounts of oil sitting at the bottom of the hole where the spark plug screws in. small ammounts.

2- seems to be smoking a little, when idling its not bad atall, you can hardly see the smoke but when you rev it up higer blue smoke comes out, not a whole lot, but enough that you can see it. and when driving behind the car, you cant smell oil or anything, should i be worried?

3- i think it always happens, but i only notice it sometimes, but when i speed up fast (usually when im between buildings or on a road going by cars) i can hear a rattling when my rpms get higher... its nothing to do with exhaust, thats all good. sounds like a bearing maybe?? it after like 4000 and stop immedietly as soon as i push the clutch in to go to the next gear

4- technical question here, will a rear pass. wheel bearing from a 94 4cyl. fit a 93 v-6? i asked if a rear coil spring would and tunes said it was weaker so dont bother. same idea with bearing?

thanks guys.
1) Common. Replace the front valve cover gasket cause its leaking
2) Common burning oil. Its probably bad rings but is perfectly drivable as long as your keep the oil topped off. This would be a good reason to swap in a 2.5 though
3) Common again. There is lots of info on this site about that
4) Not sure but compare part numbers
Last edited by mxmaz on July 15th, 2005, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93mx3v6

Post by 93mx3v6 »

thanks, i figured 1 and 2, and 3 ill look around some more, and the 4th one, i was just to lazy to call the dealer!
Gro Harlem

Re: some minor problems...

Post by Gro Harlem »

93mx3v6 wrote:1- changed my wires today (got new ones) and i noticed that in the front 3 and i diddnt check the back, there were small ammounts of oil sitting at the bottom of the hole where the spark plug screws in. small ammounts.

thanks guys.
1: valve cover gasket. Replacing it probably won't solve the problem necessarily. I replaced mine with new ones, cost: $60. Still leaked. I took them off and used gasket maker silicon sealant crap on them and it hasn't leaked since. Just removing your cover & using sealant will likely take care of the problem. Be sure to torque the bolts down properly, they do NOT need much torque to tighten

2: bad valve seals is the most common cause of this. but usually bad valve seals means it burns oil when you accelerate more than when your idling. It could be bad rings too, who knows. It isn't risking your engine or anything driving it like this, just check the oil regularly and keep it at the proper level

3: If you want us to help you, be more specific. "a rattle when i accelerate" is pretty vauge. Where's the rattle coming from? under the hood? behind you? what? what exact situation does the rattle ocure? what does it sound like? does it sound like a thrashing, a clicking? what?

4: wheel bearings on the RS and GS are the same. They are an assembly that can be unbolted from the back. basically the entire spindle w/the studs attached. Very easy to replace. YOu can get new ones from autozone for $40 per side which includes new studs and everything.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

The rattle is more than likely a friction gear spring. Although it could be the timing belt tensioner. Where is the sound coming from? If it consists throughout the rpms its not an hla as they do not rattle in the higher rpms.
65 shot > V8
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

dewthis wrote:The rattle is more than likely a friction gear spring. Although it could be the timing belt tensioner. Where is the sound coming from? If it consists throughout the rpms its not an hla as they do not rattle in the higher rpms.
Actually, I think his original guess was probably right. The accesory tensioner bearings. It only takes a few minutes to take them off. Spin them by hand and see if they make a 'sandy' or 'grainy' sound. If so, they need replacing. They're $5 each bearing at Autozone and you'll need to pound the old bearing out. Could also be the carrier shaft bearing or timing bearings.
93mx3v6

Post by 93mx3v6 »

yeah, it usually starts around 4k rpm, and it stays until i hit the clutch, or let off gas... it sounds like its coming from under the hood, near the left side if i was to guess some more. and its not a rattling due to something being loose. (that i know of) cause there isnt really anything there that would be loose, exhaust is tight, no heat shield anymore, all that stuff is fixed up.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”