engine life

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3greg

engine life

Post by mx3greg »

hey guys. dont even know if this is the right area for this. im looking at buying an mx3 gs of some year. i wanna know what some of your kms read.. cause the best i can find out of all them is 250 000... this was a concern but i was hoping engine mileage extends beyond that. i dont wanna buy one then have to swap the engine. thanks.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

mines at 210,000 and going strong. Not sure if the engine was rebuilt. For a car with that much mileage be ready to replace the whole suspension..front shafts maybe bearings..defenetly brake rotors and maybe even takle out the manifold for a good cleaning. also taking the manifold out tells u sorta the shape of the engine. If you see to much black in there eee .
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

my cousin had 1 and it had 245 000 and it was running strong also my neighbour had 1 and his had 235 000 and his was running strong but he had his engine rebuilt and it had like 230 hp tho so yah im sure that they ll go strong and be prepared to do the suspension for sure unless they have done it already
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Did engine swap at 265,000km with the K8 still running strong and passing emissions tests.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

mine has 206xxx, runs awesome..... i will probably get up to ~ 220xxx before the KL goes in

but it still depends on the car.... i personally wouldnt buy a car with those kms unless i was planning an engine swap/rebuild --- just because lots of people have had good luck with there K8's it depends on how it was driven/taken care of over the last 12 years
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

250,000 miles is ALOT... unless you mean Kms then it isnt that much
Mine still has 98k miles but probably because it has been sitting out of my house for the last 2 1/2 years (getting tranny rebuilt this weekend)

If the tranny never stopped working it would probably have atleast 130k miles on it.

How much are they asking for the MX3?
Is it a 5-speed or Automatic?
How is the condition of the car?
There is a faq around here showing how to do a compresion test, you might want to consider looking into that
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

206,XXX KM's and mines ready to blow up, KLZE soon...It seems mx3's/probes/626/mx6's all go bad around 200k here...at least through my experince with 3 K series motors.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I wonder when ill reach 250,000 I drive ALOT i do mean ALOT. I live on a bordering city and sometimes like driving for the hell of it to mexico lol My last car reached 250 and still got it :)
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mx3greg

Post by mx3greg »

okay. its a 92 gs v6. its totally stock. everything is in amazing condition, interior, exterior, black. the stock mazda front bumper has the middle and very bottom middle cut out i think cause of damage. so it looks like a mini blitz kit haha. its got a dual tipped exhaust that sounds really good. 245km on the engine with some of it rebuilt, new tires, struts, new paint. stock rims. stock radio lol. so its basically a big stockie. the guy wants 3200 can. but i think i can get it for 2800. goin to test drive it tomorrow. i'll post some more after i do.
Its a 5 speed too!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

not bad..you can always drop a ze in it :D or klde if u cant find a ze...des are everywhere :) And as far as tranny well they are also everywhere and manuals are cheaper than automatic. A local yard wanted 250 for one here woah
-hec

mx3greg

Post by mx3greg »

WOW. effing wow. im floored. best test drive of my life. hopefully im buying it on wednesday. sweeeeeeeeet
Citizenska

Car

Post by Citizenska »

Were are you located?? Mx-3's with 120 - 150k in good condition go for 1500 - 2500 in the CA, bay area. I got my 93 SE for $1500 - 127k miles. Motor is very strong and was well taken care of. The only downside to it right now is the clutch will have to be replaced soon. If it has a new paint job check to see if the dude took it maaco or earl schibe and paid $200 to spruce it up. If he did, prepare for your paint to turn to crap after a year. If your going to buy a car like that pay the $50 bucks to have a mechanic check it out. I have no problem buying high mileage cars AS LONG as it hasn't had more then 2 owners AND they have records of all maintenance done to it. If he has records and had all the maintenance at certain miles done I'd go for it. But look for records because seriously don't ever trust what anyone says when buying a car. Always check Kellys Blue Book as well. It gives you good bargaining power. Find out if major maintenance and tune ups were done. If he's never replaced the timing belt it will suck when your driving down the road and it breaks and you need a tow. Things like Timing belt, water pump, Thermostat need to be changed in major maintenance. Always test drive it on the freeway and be sure to take it over 60 to make sure you really push it. Open up the oil cap and look inside with a flash light. Look for Oil gunk. Just remember whatever maintenance and parts he hasn't replaced at those miles may befall onto you within the next year. If your cool with it go for it because you can always start replacing parts with aftermarket ones if your into that.
Chris

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”