putting 6.5's in my car...

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
doginapot

putting 6.5's in my car...

Post by doginapot »

what should i expect? i've been reading the forums for awhile now, and just purchased 4 6.5 speakers for my '93 se. i know they'll fit eventually (according to everyone here) but what should i expect? what about adapters, and how should i use them? i thought they were for putting smaller speakers in larger holes. if someone who's done this can clue me in, it'd be much appreciated.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

I put in four replacement 6.5" Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers w/no prob beyond drilling new mounting holes and fabricating drip shields for the pair that went in the doors. Shouldn't have any probs on your install unless the new door speakers are too deep in which case, they'll block the window rolling down and you'll have to make a surface-mounting spacer so they won't be so deep into the door cavity.
Image -Jim
doginapot

Post by doginapot »

so what am i going to be drilling into? metal? plastic? i haven't taken the area apart yet to see it all, and it would my first time "modding" anything.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Mounting holes drilled - metal in the front & plastic in the back. New spkrs were slightly larger than the fact. stocks + the stock spkrs only had 3 mounting holes and I installed replacements with four holes. Here's a link from the homepage w/ instr. for getting to your old speakers http://mx-3.com/tech/audsys/ in case ya haven't seen it and since this is your first time thru. btw, you'll need a spacer for extra depth on your new fronts if their depth is >1 7/8's inches when measured from back of the new spkr. "rim" to rear of the magnet. Any deeper and the window will contact the speaker when down w/o the spacer.
Image -Jim
doginapot

Post by doginapot »

any suggestions as to what might be the best tools for making these new holes?
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

A centerpunch to score a starting point for the drilling

An electric power drill

A drill bit properly sized to drill a hole to accept the mounting screws

A heavy dose of rum or tequila to dull the pain if the drill bit slips and cuts your hand
Image -Jim
Mazderati

Post by Mazderati »

Absolutely for sure make some drip guards or make up some way to keep the water off the speakers. I learned the hard way a couple of years back with a nice set of MB Quarts. :oops: :oops: That hurt.... $$$ too. Now I have foam hats and plastic sheeting in there to shield my 6 1/2 inch Eclipses, no probs. Lots of clearance.

my 2 cents.

:) :)
96 GS, 17" Niche's, Falken 40's. Eibach springs, Tokico S/R struts, Ractive front & rear strutbars. Supertrapp exhaust, K & N intake. Soundstream Reference, JL & Eclipse audio.

Green means "Go", Yellow means, "Go Faster"!!
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

use original drip sheilds that were on the factory speakers. They just pop off
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

I dunno if im alone, but puting in my 6.5's were easy. I had a slight dilemma because i installed the alpine type S's without the riser adapter that comes with it, and the window just bumped the magnet for a while ( i could hear it) A simple riser can be made with plywood and a jigsaw...Mine have no water guards i just make sure not to roll down my windows after i wash the car :-)
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”