New brake pads, lots of problems

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

New brake pads, lots of problems

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

Hey all, I tried doing a search but couldn't find anything relating to my problem, so I hope someone can give me some advice on this.

About 2 weeks ago, I got my brakes done at Tire Kingdom. I figured, hey, get them done professionally so I don't screw anything up. I had just the fronts done, new pads, and they resurfaced the rotors. When I first got my car back, I had to push my pedal down almost to the floor to stop- but I was told that was normal from a couple people I know, they said it was because the rotors were resurfaced, and it would just take time for eveything to go back to normal. But after about 2 weeks, it's still the same for the most part, but now my breaks squeal, and they also make that grinding noise. Sometimes my pedal kind of pulsates as I'm stopping. Also, when I'm just driving along, not pushing on the brake pedal, I have a constant squeal-type noise, which I suspsect might just be the dust plate rubbing up against the rotor. Not sure though.

Anyway, I vowed that I am never going to Tire Kingdom again, because they were real jerks, and everytime I use them something like this always happens- probably so I go back and pay more money. I guess I just need some insight as to what might be wrong, so I can hopefully fix it myself. Thanks in advance, and sorry ahead of time if I missed this in the search area.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Why resurface? New Brembo rotors is pretty cheap.
That`s what I got, and that works just perfect :)
Along with some Porterfield pads, killer combo.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

Didn't have the money for new rotors. Could the fact they were resurfaced be the problem?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

It sounds like they didnt bleed the brakes properly. They may have just squeezed it together and figured that since they didnt crack open the bleeders that they were ok and didnt have to. And it is not normal for your brake pedal to go almost to the floor after a brake job. Even with resurfaced front rotors, the difference in pad width would increase pressure in the brake lines and your brake pedal should only travel 1 or 2 inches at most before you feel the brakes engaging. Is the grinding coming from up front or from the rear brakes? Did they inspect the rear brakes at all? And lastly.. considering the BS this place seemed to sling at you.. Are you sure they even did the work they claimed they did? If the squeeling and grinding is coming from your front end.. I would seriously wonder if they didnt do anything at all. Take it to Midas and get a complete brake inspection. They do free inspections so it wont cost anything out of pocket. Take a camera with you (digital if you have access to one) and get pics of your front rotors and brake pads.

Now if we give Tire Kingdom the benefit of the doubt, and the squeeling/grinding is coming from your front brakes.. they may not have greased the sliders (Pins that the pads slide on) or you may have a caliper seized up. Does your car pull to the left or right when you put your foot on the brakes?

Now as for the pedal pulsating.. This is typical of one or both rotors being warped. Here is the kicker.. if they resurfaced the rotors.. they should have removed any warpage or if they found it to be extreme they should have at least mentioned it to you.

Get it inspected asap TC.. it sounds like you have some brake issues that could be dangerous and need to be resolved soon. I know it can be expensive to have a shop do a complete brake job, but you can buy the parts (new rotors & rear wheel cylinders even) for about $150 total out the door. I know.. I just did my car 3 weeks ago ;) Its a fairly simple job to do, but can be a bit physical and may require a hammer plus a lot of swearing to get done ;) Gro Harlem did a brake FAQ that has some tips and the online shop manual should have all the procedures to get the job done. Here is the link to Gro's FAQ:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=41837

Keep us posted on what you find out :) Best of luck

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

Well, they inspected the rear brakes, said they were fine. My rotors they said were fine, but when would need to be replaced the next time I needed new pads. They definitely did the work, I can tell by looking at the rotors and can tell there are new pads. The grinding and squealing is definitely coming from the front end. And before I brought my car in, it wasn't grinding at all. I suspected maybe they didn't bleed the brakes properly, because that has happened before with my old car, but it didn't cause nearly as many problems, only the "brake pedal to the floor" thing. Thanks for the heads up about Midas, I'll definitely take it over there sometime soon.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Midas is damn expensive to have do the work.. They seem to think their parts are made of gold or something ;) But they do the free inspections and that should at least help you find out whats going on. I got a power flush & bleed job done at Clutch Doctors for $50.. I bled my own brakes with a buddy's help when I did my brakes.. but the fluid was ugly so I took it in a week later and had the flush done. Just as a point of reference for you.. my brake pedal travels only about an inch before I feel the brakes engaging. Prior to my brake job.. the pedal would go about 1/2 way to the floor before engaging. Best of luck

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

See if they will waranty out the pads for some new ones for the noise. Sounds like the quality of the pads is a little shady to me. Most tech's don't even grease the slides - I know. It's important to do this, because it keeps the caliper reciprocating freely when you hit the pedal.

As for the pedal feel, their's definitely some air trapped in the lines. With a normal pedal, it should feel firm within the first inch or so of pedal travel. It's quite easy for air to get in behind the calipers when pressing the piston back. Have them re-bleed the front to get the pedal feel back.
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

What Tunes67 said is pretty accurate in my opinion. Honestly, I'd take it to a different place that's more respectable and have them look at it again. I suspect you got screwed over unfortunately, cuz if they REALLy did in fact resurface your rotors properly as they claimed they did, you should NOT be experiencing any puslating sensations under your foot as you brake. That fact alone that you still do even after the work was done leads me to suspect they're being dishonest with you. Good luck.
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

My goodness, I had just typed a big long reply about my problem and how it's all solved now, and then the server here at work went down as I submitted it!! :evil: I'm just going to give the short version now...

As I stated above, my problem is solved now. Thanks Tunes for suggesting Midas, I decided to just take my chances and go to one. Glad I did because the guy there was really honest. Long story short, Tire Kingdom just did a half-a-- job on my rotors, and didn't tell me about certain things that needed my attention. My rotors were at minimum specs when I brought them into Tire Kingdom, so when Tire Kingdom resurfaced them, it brought them to below minimum. They didn't grease the sliders, as some of you mentioned might be the case. Also Midas told me I needed to replace some hardware on my calipers, not sure exactly what, don't remember- some sort of rubber pieces. Anyway, rather than deal with BS at Tire Kingdom, I had Midas just fix it. The guy there gave me a good deal, guess he felt bad about what happened at Tire Kingdom. 8)

So yeah, it's all fixed, and I'm also happy because I found a reliable shop to use from now on. Thanks everyone, I appreciate all of your input. :D
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Glad it all worked out for you TC. :2thumbsup: Best of luck :)

Tunes67

mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

write complaint to BBB about them, nobody deserves service like that
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

My rotors were at minimum specs when I brought them into Tire Kingdom, so when Tire Kingdom resurfaced them, it brought them to below minimum.
Mitmaks is right.. especially about this part.. what they did is a violation of federal law and a blatant violation of safety standards.. if you have those rotors and the reciept from Tire Kingdom.. you could get them in BIG trouble if you want to.

Tunes67

mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

at least you can go back and have them refund you for poor workmanship or whatever its called. Theyre supposed to check rotors every time they resurface them, if theyre too thin they can crack, you loose your brakes, possibly get killed...you get the idea.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

Yeah, I talked to the guy at Midas for awhile about what I should do, about getting money back or whatever. See, I did contact Tire Kingdom headquarters to complain when I initially got my car worked on, and a couple hours later, the manager from that particular location called me, all rude, basically telling me I had no right to complain. So that tells me they obviously don't care. When I told the guy at Midas that story, he said that if he found anything that he could definitely pin on them, that he would call for me and get them to fix it. After looking at the car, the guy at Midas told me that yeah, they screwed up, but since I waited 2 weeks that it would give them the chance to say that in that 2 weeks that I caused most of the problems. So it's kind of like, yes, I can complain and throw a fit, but it probably will fall on deaf ears.

And well, I feel like I brought it on myself in a way. I kept going back there (Tire Kingdom) when I knew they weren't honest, only because they were close to where I work, and I could walk from Tire Kingdom to work if I needed to. So for me it's really a lesson learned. I will file another complaint but I won't get my hopes up about getting any money back.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Were they bedded in first before any normal wear and tear?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”