1.6 L to 2.5 kl-ze swap

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
droz

1.6 L to 2.5 kl-ze swap

Post by droz »

I want to preform the 1.6 L 4cyl to the 2.5 V6 KL-ZE swap...but i am not sure what needs to be done or if it is even worth it. I know i would have to get a new trany to handle the power but i am also not sure on that to. If anyone knows anything about this please help me out.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

it`s not worth it.

The costs and work involved would be just plain stupid.

better to get a 1.8 BPT from a GTX or a GTR.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

I agree!!! I have done the 1.6L to 2.5 swap before alot of time money and work!!!

I would rather have the nice sound of a turbo spooling any day!!!!
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

try and find a v6 mx3 parts car for cheap and then you would have all the parts you need.
D323

Post by D323 »

I am doing the exact opposite.... I just dropped the k8 for the GTX I have sitting in my garage. It is a pita like everyone said, but its not impossible. I have all the needed mechanical parts, wiring is the next big issue I have to tackle.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Going the reverse route of V6 to 4 cyl.. though just as difficult as going from 4cyl to V6.. has some definate advantages. For one thing.. you have the GS steering box and suspension. And you are more likely to end up with more if not all of the factory options that a lot of the RS models lacked. As a bonus you will already have the rear disc brakes as well. In general the GS platform is just a more complete platform to start with. But that doesnt mean there arent some RS cars that couldnt give them a run for their money ;)

Tunes67
Last edited by Tunes67 on June 19th, 2005, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

I was just considering doing a 4cyl-to-6cyl swap, (after driving DavidOS's ZE) and you'd basically need a complete parts car.. I think it would be easier just to drop in a GTX engine or turbo the DOHC
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”