4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
rayrrod

how many gallons of gas does the 4 cyl hold

Post by rayrrod »

the online manual says

liters = 50
us gallons = 13.2
imp gallons = 11.0

what is gas at the pump measured in, us gal or imp gal?

my low gas light came on, ran for 2 days.
my car stalled. died, let it sit for a few minutes..restarted but was sputtering. drove a few yards, died again but was able to cross freeway
waited a few minutes..started again, sputtering again..and then died again

made it to the gas station..but pump was not working..had to restart it and
drove it to the proper pump.

this time the car was running like no problem.
i wud step on the gas,,and it ran normal.

filled up..21 dollars. at 1.9799
so thats about 11.611 gallons

so i was not empty?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Did you notice a audible release of vaccum pressure when you took off your gas cap? Your in Houston according to your profile.. so outside temps were what? 85 degrees? 90? You could have been suffering from vapor lock. Its not supposed to happen... but if your charcoal canister is plugged up or if the fuel return system is plugged.. you could have a situation where your fuel pump couldnt move the fuel consistantly to your engine. Letting it sit briefly might have released a small amount of pressure so it would start up again. When you took off the gas cap.. all vacuum pressure was released so it went back to normal. This is speculation.. but if you notice it happening again.. try removing your gas cap to release the pressure and see if it runs properly afterward. If this does work.. I'd recommend having your fuel system checked out.. you may have something plugged or malfunctioning. Your gas tank is supposed to hold 13.2 gallons and you fill up in houston with US gallons. Best of luck.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
dj inferno

Post by dj inferno »

my gascap USED to suck air in when i took it off to fill up, but then sumone stold the cap and put a egg in my tank... after drivin a few months with no cap, then deciding to pump all the gas out of my tank, and fill up with good gas, i got a used gas cap (one from a GS) and ever since then it dont make the suction anymore... is that good or bad? lol from what it sounds like its a bad thing when that happens...
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

There is supposed to be vacuum pressure.. Its there to help return unused fuel back to the tank. But if the system gets plugged where it cant operate normally.. the vacuum could build up and not release at the proper rate and add in higher ambient temperatures and vapor lock could occur.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

I have also been told that a lot of times when you aren't low on fuel there might not be any suction noise when you take the cap off. I know all the time when I'm low on fuel there is the noise but a lot of the time (usually 1/2 tank or more) if I put in gas there is no noise...

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”