1.8L Turbo.....

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Legato626

1.8L Turbo.....

Post by Legato626 »

I know this is probable been asked before but i cannot find anything on it but is it posable to turbo charge the stock 1.8L.
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Why couldnt you. Im not sure about Compression ratios, but I'd assume the BPT has a lower CR. You should be able to pull the turbo system/injectors off of a BPT and put them on a BP. You can turbo any motor for the most part, but boosting it, has its limitations it can handle.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

I think hes talking about putting a turbo on the K8 not a bp.......... i remember a post with everybody arguing why turbo the K8 when you can simply get a cheap klde.... try serching for it... but of course you could turbo it if you wanted
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

In that case...

the price of a turbo.. will outweight the cost of a ZE.
130hp k8 + turbo will be more expensive (probably 2x as much as a ZE for the same amount of power.
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

not true proved that wrong 2 years ago i built a turbo 1.8l with inercooler for about 1000 cd thats about the prise of a good ze to your door before you even put it in.
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

BUT 1000 cdn = 803.777 USD

Many people who live near importers can go buy them for that much.
Ive seen ZE's sometimes as low as 750. Unfortunatley due to demand.. they cost a bit more now.

...also buying a ZE will leave you room for a larger HP gain. Remember theres no replacement for displacement.
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

that just the cost for the motor you still dont have it in the car i had a running on the road turbo 1.8l intercooler, ssbov, fmu bigger injectors plus the cost of the welder for 1000cnd. Its real hard to fined a ze for 800cnd thats in good shape and you still have shipping and intall ontop of that. Come to think about it, it was 3 years ago that i did it. Dam time flys

99 vitara 4x4
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

Custommx3 wrote:
Remember theres no replacement for displacement.
Two things wrong with that if thats your thought why stop on the ze why not bigger and if thats your thoughts your deffently in the wrong car seen but dont worry barrie we still love you. And i would put my motor up to any stock ze and bet i put more power to the wheels.

99 vitara 4x4
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

ok if you cant swap your own engine in you obviously cant put together your own turbo kit and install it and have it running right. I agree it would cost twice as much to make a RELIABLE k8-t then it would to swap in a ze.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

What kind of power are you puttin down Spanky?
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

yes you can turbo your k8 and yes a few ppl have done it,

stock compression on teh k8s if my memory serves at all which it normally doesnt is 9:2:1 or something of that nature.

1000 $ turbo set up?? where? and when? what parts did you get?
how much boost?
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

i agree not the average person can biuld a turbo system and i wouldnt go out and tell people that they can do it just hate when people say it cant be done thats why about 4 years a ago at steve(tec guy) house we was talking about it he said it wouldnt work and just like today every one on the board said it cost way more then the swap so i set out to biuld a turbo set up for the cost of a swap and sean was selling ze for 1000cd best prise around then. I bought two turbos and laser cute to sets of flanges because i was going to go twin turbo but drop that half way thought the build. So if i minuse the cost of the secound turbo im at 800 but i spent 300 for a new welder. My biggest cost was the SSBOV just had to have that love the look and sound could have got a different kined for cheaper. Big tip for people tht are thinking about doing it and want to save insted of spending the money on maderal bent pipes get a shop to bend larger dianmiter pipes for you(if you want 2" bend a 2 1/2" ) your going to be cutting and welding anyways.
As for hp i havnt been to the dyno yet but i hoping to soon but i would lay money on it at 10psi im putting around 200hp to the wheel and the same with trq.

Cost lay out
turbo 200
190hpfp 80
intercooler 150
injectors 25
SSBOV 200
RRFMU 100
pipes 50
= 805 plus lost of nights drinking beer :wink:

99 vitara 4x4
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

mrspanky79 wrote:As for hp i havnt been to the dyno yet but i hoping to soon but i would lay money on it at 10psi im putting around 200hp to the wheel and the same with trq.

That I can definitely see a benefit to the turbo's is increased torque
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

whoops frogot heared wrap 50 and air/fuel and boots gauge 150
so that puts me at $1005

99 vitara 4x4
Legato626

ZE

Post by Legato626 »

So on corksport i can get a ze with a ECU for 1600 does that seam like a good deal? How much after that would it cost to turbo a ZE. I mean like changing pistons,valve springs,cams,polished and ported heads, then the turbo. Are we talking about 1600 for the engine and like 4 or 5k for the turbo set up and everything?
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!

Return to “Forced Induction”