Head/instrument lights Don't Work

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

Head/instrument lights Don't Work

Post by FiReSTaRT »

Last night I came to a nasty surprise. My lowbeams weren't working. Neither were my instrument lights. Highbeams were ok, so I managed to make a 45min roundtrip, but it's still annoying for myself and other drivers on the road. My $$$'s on a fuse. Had it been the bulb, the speedo/tach backlights would have still been on. Any other suggestions?
Carthago Delenda Est
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

The dash lights are on the tail light fuse and the headlights on a different one. They both run through relays under the drivers side dash.

Are your tail lights working? If so the dash light problem could be the dimmer switch.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

Post by FiReSTaRT »

Yeah, the taillights are working just fine. Looks like the dimmer switch will be another part on my shopping list. Thanks for the tip.
Carthago Delenda Est
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Rather than replacing it you can just bridge it out if you don't use it (like me). The wire colours to bridge are the RED and the BLACK.

Heres a thread on it

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... c&&start=0

Have you done anything to test the headlights yet?
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

My lights did the same thing...turned out that the headlight relay was fried. And I DO MEAN FRIED!!! The wiring harness that plugs into it was melted to the point where it just looked like a ball of brownish crud. I hadn't even modded anything yet...just turned out that something got grounded out maybe.

Anyway, I just removed the relay and installed toggle switches in the dash for low and high beams and the dash lights. It wasn't that tough...the harness to tap into is right under the dash under the steering column. Plus...the toggles look kinda cool for the lights anyway. Now my lights work great...haven't had a problem since.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”