Engine Ticks

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ManoWar

Engine Ticks

Post by ManoWar »

Hello after i've pushed it a little on the higway today. When i return i noticed this tick. It sounds like a valve tick. Its not to loud but sometimes noticeable in the cockpit. What could it be? and is it an imediate problem to my engine. Also what should i do?

I stopped the engine and cranked it up again and it dissapeared only to re-appear when i cranked it again.
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

will check oil altough i've changed it 4000kms ago (didn't check the level in 2 weeks and i now realized i have done 3000clicks in that period).
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

HLA ticking is normal. Plz Search.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

Talon_66 wrote:HLA ticking is normal. Plz Search.
i did search and i've found one or 2 coherent answers. Added oil (i was waaay under low on the dipstick and the noise went to almost a complete stop.

Now something i havn't found yet is. What does HLA stand for and is it safe to drive with this tick. (Now its almost non hearable)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

HLA = Hydraulic Lash Adjuster

In laymans terms they are commonly called "Lifters" Though in our mazda engines the cam(s) actually ride on top of the HLA's rather than vice versa.. Though the overall basic design concept is the same. Though admittedly.. it doesnt make sense to call them Lifters in a Overhead Cam configuration.

HLA ticking is pretty common with our mazda engines, both with the B6 engines and the K8's, KLZE's.. etc.. its more annoying than anything.. eventually Mazda went to a solid "lifter" design due to the problems with them. I find it rather amusing that they call the non hydraulic part that performs the same function a "Lifter" even though they dont lift anything ;) You can replace them if they bother you.. I have heard it costs anywhere from $400 to $600 to have a shop do it. Best of Luck

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

thx tunes as always with a good answer. So basicly i shouldn't worry too much. But why did it appear after i pushed the car? this is what scared me i went to 6700rpm for a bit in 4th then 5th etc.... and this appeard. Thats why i got so paranoid.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Added oil (i was waaay under low on the dipstick
So basicly i shouldn't worry too much
You should worry a lot.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

Same thing happened to me...it's your cam shaft friction gear spring. You blew em' at high rpms. Exact same thing happened to me a couple years back. Don't listen to the guys that say it's yoru HLA's...your HLA's won't just all of a sudden start ticking on your after pushing the limits on the highway....it's your springs.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Sorry man.. I didnt really read your original post.. I just read your post asking what HLA stood for. As quicksilver pointed out.. the ticking you have left could be your friction gear. And as grants pointed out.. if you ran your engine that hard that low on oil.. yeah you should be concerned. Without being able to hear the actual sound.. its really anyones guess as to what it is.. it could be the HLA's, it could be the friction gear or.. it could even be a rod knock. Take it to a Mazda Tech and have them listen to it. Or.. make a good quality sound recording of the noise and post it back so that the folks here can hear it. I am not positive what the friction gear tick sounds like.. But I could identify either the HLA's or a Rod Knock. Quicksilver would know for sure the friction gear tick sounds like. Best of luck.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

quicksliver wrote:Same thing happened to me...it's your cam shaft friction gear spring. You blew em' at high rpms. Exact same thing happened to me a couple years back. Don't listen to the guys that say it's yoru HLA's...your HLA's won't just all of a sudden start ticking on your after pushing the limits on the highway....it's your springs.

And if it is the camshaft friction gear then how much would it cost to repair it. And also is it wise to run the engine
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

it doesn't tick anymore. Added oil and everything seems fine.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

I find mine needs about half a litre every 1,000 km. I change the oil and filter every 5,000 km and you can hear the difference after the change.

I'm sure you'll check it a lot more often now! :D
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

Grants wrote:I find mine needs about half a litre every 1,000 km. I change the oil and filter every 5,000 km and you can hear the difference after the change.

I'm sure you'll check it a lot more often now! :D
yes i used to before my last oil change. Added syntetic and did 4000clicks in under 2 weeks and i admit forgot to check it. Will change the oil in another 4clicks. I just hope i didn't bend anything inside considering i added now 2L to get it back to normal.
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

ManoWar wrote:it doesn't tick anymore. Added oil and everything seems fine.
Well then yah, it was your HLA's. It cost me $1100.00cdn to have Mazda fix my right cam shaft friction gear i belive it was...couple other minor things were on the bill.
good_glory

Post by good_glory »

quicksliver wrote:[It cost me $1100.00cdn to have Mazda fix my right cam shaft friction gear i belive it was...couple other minor things were on the bill.
ARE YOU SERIOUS??????????????

I am having this same problem out of nowhere but a great oil change (c/o JW) didnt change anything. The deeper ticking is the HLAs but theres like a chirping sound thats a higher pitch. I was gunna go get a diagnostic at Mazda but though i'd look around here first.

Maybe someone at thursdays meet might be able to figuire it out for me :(

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”