Jumpy 2nd gear... help

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Estiee

Jumpy 2nd gear... help

Post by Estiee »

Today i just got my eunos, and noticed that when it shift from 1st to 2nd its little harsh so its a kick or so, other gears are fine however,,,, any ideas on the problem???

Maybe needs tuning?
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

Every Mx3 I have driven (automatic) had a harsh 1-2 shift. Nature of the beast.

If yours is EXTREMELY harsh, its possible the throttle sensing cable is too tight. (Its the cable right next to the throttle cable on the throttle body).
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

I'm physically unable to drive a stickshift, so unfortunately, I'm stuck with lousy automatics, heh.. That said, I'm on my third MX-3, and so far, only one has had a harsh 1-2nd shift. Apparently the transmission was rebuilt before I bought my 2nd GS, (currently using the ATX out of it), and I believe during the rebuild, they just got the bands and stuff tight, for the 1-2nd shift. Bad engine/tranny mounts can cause it to feel harsher as well, due to the engine/tranny moving around as it shifts, but as stated, that's probably just the way that particular transmission is gonna shift. Shouldn't really cause any problems, other than an annoyance, and make sure to pay attention if you've gotta drive in the snow/ice.. Could be the cable too, as previously stated.
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com

Return to “Transmissions”