Pacesetter cat-back guys...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Pacesetter cat-back guys...

Post by MX-3 Money »

To all the guys with pacesetter catback, when you have the gas to the floor and the revs get up to 5k and on, does the muffler seem to rattle? I don't know it its just the exhust tip since it has holes on the inside(ppl with it should know what i mean, the yellow part) or if its the muffler. My buddy says its a new kind of muffler that has a baffle that opens up when there a ton of air going out it, but i don't know about that.
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

My pacesetter would do that all the time when it was new. Then it was only making that sounds between 3-4k. Now it only makes that sound when the car isnt warmed up and between 3-4k. I really like the sound of the exhaust when its not making that sound now, plus for the price its a great buy. I live in PA and everyone says it rusts out with all the road salt, but Ive had mine for 2 yrs with minimul rust. just spray under your car when u wash it.
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

but do you know whats making the sound? I might just cut the tip off and buy a smaller one that will look better.
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
J0HN_R1

Post by J0HN_R1 »

:idea: Have you checked to make sure one of the heat-sheilds havent rusted off the mounts...? The exhaust manifold ones especially are known for this. They rust off at the weld and sit there wrapped around the y-pipe and rattle away. My car does it too, and its mainly the big sheild by the rear manifold. Its stuck between the exhaust and the floor, and cant come out without using a torch or somethin... It drives me bonkers...!!!

:wink: John
When this thing hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious TIHS...!
Absath

Post by Absath »

My Pacesetter is brand new (2-3 weeks old) and it does this too. Only on occasion though, but when it does, I hate it. It's a rattling sound, but it makes the exhaust sound really tinny, metallic, high pitched and super cheap. The rest of the time I love how it sounds.

Wish we knew what caused it, so we could fix it.

-Tim
Don't park drunk, accidents cause people.

92 Blaze Red MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, ACT Clutch, KL 36 ECU, SS Clutch Line
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

I just put Pacesetter headers on my car with modified stock exhaust & it just started doing this. Don't know what it is about Pacesetter????

My exhaust sounds great except for that rattle & the cheap tip that I have on there.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

pacesetter exhaust and headers are known for their raspy sound..My friend's PS catback too made the same darn thing
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

if u take off the tip and have any success let us know. i dont really like the tip anyway, i just havent felt like messing with it for fear id screw up the whole muffler
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

my stock exhaust sometimes does this at 3500-4000k. I have no cat though. Maybe its something to do with our cars rather than pacesetter?
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

I have no cat though
I don't either...

How many others with pacesetter exhaust do not have a cat on theirs?
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

i've got a cat and my stock exhaust didn't rattle before and I even put a magnaflow muffler on.
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

my stock exhaust didn't rattle before I put my headers & took out my cat.

It only did it after I put on the headers & took out the cat
Absath

Post by Absath »

Yeah, I don't have a cat on either, but I've got a magnaflow one waiting to go on...

-Tim
Don't park drunk, accidents cause people.

92 Blaze Red MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, ACT Clutch, KL 36 ECU, SS Clutch Line

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”