Timing Belt for BPT after removing A/C

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Cpl_Bryant

Timing Belt for BPT after removing A/C

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

I am working on my BPT and am planning to remove the A/C to fit the Corksport downpipe. My question involves the timing belt. Since the A/C pully is no longer there, what belt can be used that will be shorter? I thought I read somewhere that I could use the belt from a SOHC Protege. Is that true? If not, what can I use?
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/cplbryant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

You can measure it with a piece of string, take your old belt (so you get the right cross section) and go to the auto shop. They'll find something that will fit OK. And remember to keep the info in case you need to replace it in the future.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
jaydog5678

Re: Timing Belt for BPT after removing A/C

Post by jaydog5678 »

Cpl_Bryant wrote: I thought I read somewhere that I could use the belt from a SOHC Protege. Is that true?
That's what I am using. Get one for a SOHC without the A/C.
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

and when you go to order it make sure you just call it a belt, not a timing belt, or they will get really confused. :wink:
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
Ateana

Post by Ateana »

ok first its not the timing belt.. it is an accessory belt that is a serpintine type and is available for your engine code with no ac for like 20 bucks canadian from your nearest partsource or autozone.
Management is not responsible for lost or stolen virginities.

White 94 Mx-3 BP
Black 93 Mx-3 Kl-De

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”