Stupid Mechanic... what should I do? *Updated with pics*

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
AbsathX

Stupid Mechanic... what should I do? *Updated with pics*

Post by AbsathX »

So last week I bring brand new SS Autochrome Headers and a Pacesetter Monza Exhaust to a mechanic and ask him if he can do the install. I tell him they are pretty much bolt-on, with maybe a little minor frabrication needed. I tell him I don't have a hi-flow cat yet, but to use the stock one. They say they can do the work so I leave my car.

The following day I get a call that they are finished. They inform me that the headers went on no problem, except that there was some problem with the EGR Bung pipe (?) and also that the exhaust ended up being "too short for the car" and they had to cut and attach a 6" piece of pipe to make it fit. This struck me as a bit odd, but I went down there.

Everything seemed to be running fine, I liked the way the car sounded. On my way out, I offhandedly asked the mechanic who did the actual instiall whether he had any problem attaching the stock cat to the system. He tells me that there was a catalytic converter included in the exhaust system I provided. This again struck me as odd, but I was in a hurry and it didn't sink in. I brought the car home and took a rental car to come to my sister's college graduation this weekend.

So here I am, and it finally dawns on me that these idiots thought the resonator pipe was a catalytic converter, so they didn't install a cat on my system, and what's more, they cut up a perfectly good, fairly expensive exhaust system to add another six inches of their crap piping and clamps that I probably wouldn't have needed if they had installed the thing properly.

So obviously I'm going down there first thing Monday. What's your take on this? What rights do I have to demand? Do I deserve a refund? Should they pay for the exhaust? Is the integrity of the existing exhaust pipe weakened because of an extra break in the line now? It would be my assumption that for the best performance you want as few joints in the pipe as possible...

Your input would be appreciated.

-Tim
Last edited by AbsathX on May 8th, 2005, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

stupid people piss me off, i would be freakin murderous, i dont knoe what right you have or what you can do, but man, go down there at least and start kickin a$$ or something.
keep postin, or pm or something bro,
good luck
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

Well Tim if it is that big of an issue to you you should be able to go back and have them fix it for free, possible even have them buy you a whole new exhaust system. If you have emissions testing there you will have to have the cat and it is law for them to have a cat on the car when they work on it. It is actualy better for you performance without it. I run without a cat but I have no emissions testing. If nothing else they have to put the cat on for legal purposes.
AbsathX

Post by AbsathX »

Yeah, stupid people piss me off too.

I know I can run the car without a cat, but my state does have emissions which I have to pass pretty soon. I'd rather just have it on there.

My main concern is the area where they would have cut the pipe to add an additional length. I mean, can the pipe be rewelded without negative effects? It just really frustrates me that I had a brand new exhaust that got cut up for no reason. Can it be welded, or is it better just to start over with a new system?

I really don't mind putting money into my car... I just really hate it when it's wasted.

-Tim
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

Its not realy going to affect the flow of your exhaust any tho have them weld the pipe back on but if it was me I would have them pay for a whole new exhaust, just for the fact you payed all that money to have it done right then they screwed it up. good luck man :wink:
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

post some pics
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Buy a Highflow cat like you had intended, and make them put it on for free. I think that would be reasonable.
Last edited by Rick Johnson on May 8th, 2005, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

I would demand that they redo the whole thing again the way u intetended, that is they buy a whole new system and fix it up..dont let them weld, if u wanted that u could have gone custom.
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

93-Spec-Edn wrote:I would demand that they redo the whole thing again the way u intetended, that is they buy a whole new system and fix it up..dont let them weld, if u wanted that u could have gone custom.
My thoughts too. They are to make everything right as per your original instructions and their original agreement. If that means, and it probably will that they will incur a hefty price, again it is their fault their problem. If this is a reputable place than it should be no problem to get squared away. If however you tried to save a few bucks and went with "buddy" down the road, well that may be a different matter and they may just say, screw off. I've found in whatever your plans or dealings may be - be respectfull, polite and firm. Don't get sucked into a pissing contest. my 2 pennies.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

AbsathX wrote: My main concern is the area where they would have cut the pipe to add an additional length. I mean, can the pipe be rewelded without negative effects? It just really frustrates me that I had a brand new exhaust that got cut up for no reason. Can it be welded, or is it better just to start over with a new system?
Where did they cut pipe? Sounds like they just put a pice of 6" pipe between the Monza and header flex. They would have needed to cut a piece out of your Monza to add the cat, which is what they'll need to do anyways when they add the cat. So they'll have to cut out that 6" pipe and maybe another 4-6" out of the Monza to fit a cat in there. The Probe headers are 6" longer than our stock exhaust manifold.
Absath

Post by Absath »

Hmm interesting. Well, I just got home and pulled my car out into the driveway to have a look. I snapped some pictures to show you the system. I'm wondering if maybe they didn't cut it? It's hard for me to tell.

The bit of pipe they installed, shortly after the resonator:
Just after the resonator, where the exhaust connect to the headers:
The headers on up:
Just after their extension, where it bends towards the passenger side, then towards the rear again:
The muffler:
The diagram/instructions that came with the exhaust:
What they gave back to me (it was a brand new stock exhaust installed about a month ago, so I asked them to hold on to everything they pulled off the car):

What do you guys think? Did they not cut the pipe after all? It's hard to tell because in the diagram you have the resonator, then afterwards a bend and then a break. But on the car, there is now a break right after the resonator, and then a solid bend all the way around to the flange.

-Tim[/img]
Don't park drunk, accidents cause people.

92 Blaze Red MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, ACT Clutch, KL 36 ECU, SS Clutch Line
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Why does it hang so low after the Headers? thats not good....
Absath

Post by Absath »

I noticed that myself when I was taking the pictures. Maybe cause there's supposed to be a catalytic converter there? Or as someone said, the probe headers are longer?

-Tim

93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

Thats some of the crappiest work i've ever seen. Get you cat, take it back and make them do it right!
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
Absath

Post by Absath »

Well what exactly is "right"? I'm going in tomorrow and I need to know what to tell them to do. Obviously they need to install the cat right after the headers, and cut some of the exhaust off before the resonator to make it fit. And get rid of that additional piece of pipe and clamps...

Why might the pipe be hanging down like that? Just because it's misaligned due to the lack of a cat?

-Tim

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”