How i managed to pass my e-test after an initial fail

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
quicksliver

How i managed to pass my e-test after an initial fail

Post by quicksliver »

** The only reason im posting my results and what i did to make my 1992 MX-3 GS pass e-test here in Ontario is to help you guys out there pass your e-tests too :).

FIRST E-test (FAIL)

SECOND E-test (PASS)

As you can see my readings in all areas drastically dropped when compared to the first test. What work did i do to the car between the first and second test....

- Oil Change (10w30 Valvoline HighMileage Motor Oil /w 32oz of Lucas Oil Stabilzer)
- New NGK Spark Plugs (Part No. BP01-18-110)
- TKO 2000 Fuel System Treatment ( As seen at http://www.kleenflo.com )
- 87' Octane Sonoco gas
- Drove for 250km's and then went for test. The last 50km's was all highway...just before the test.

This is why i did the above things....
After some research, i found out hydrocarbons are caused mainly by unburnt fuel and burning oil. So being that my car was burning oil, that's why i did the oil change with 10w30 Valvoline HighMileage Motor Oil /w 32oz of Lucas Oil Stabilzer....to get the oil VERY THICK so that it wouldn't get though the seals n' s--- as easy.

I put the NGK Spark Plugs in mainly because they were only 20 bucks for 6 and for peice of mind knowing that i tried it.

I put the TKO 2000 fuel treatment in by a recommendation from the mechanic who did my first e-test. It's supposibly wayyy beter than that 'Gurenteed to Pass' crap you buy at Canadian Tire.

I put the 87' Octane Sonoco gas in between it's the only gas around me that has 10% ethonal in it (burns cleaner). I didn't go for the 94 octane because im too cheap lol.

I drove 250km's after doing all the above things because i phoned the company that produced the TKO 2000 product and that's what they suggest i do.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Outstanding write-up QS. Glad to see you passed too. I think I may be close to passing one too. Just changed my plugs also and I'm starting to see the light tan colour on them like they should be. To be on the safe side I still might do what Mike (Nd4SpdSe) did and dump a little naptha in the gas tank the day befor the test. It probably helped that I did a teardown and cleaning of the Tb, cleaned the VAF, changed the PCV, changed the plugs, reset the TPS and idle, cleaned the O2 sensor, cleaned the thermosensors, changed the engine (Red Line) oil, changed the TX (Royal Purple)oil, cleaned and re-oiled the air filter (K&N) and cleaned the contacts and rotor in the disty. I'm hoping every little thing helps. I'll have a serious look at the TKO2000 though.
Again, thanks for the write-up. :2thumbsup:
Last edited by jschrauwen on May 8th, 2005, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

I had lots of trouble with too high CO (even with a brand new cat).

Heres what I did: removed my HKS filter kit completely, and ran it without it for 30 minutes before the test, and drove the car real hard so it got warm and nice.

Then all my levels dropped totally (from a CO level of about 4 to 0.26).
(I had replaced oil, plugs, o2 sensors and the cat before this last test.)

So, moral of the story... always check if your airfilter filters enough, mine was probably clogged, and such the engine got too much fuel and too little air.
Just bothers me that I didnt try it before I replaced everything.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

nope-mx3 wrote:So, moral of the story... always check if your airfilter filters enough, mine was probably clogged, and such the engine got too much fuel and too little air. Just bothers me that I didnt try it before I replaced everything. nope-mx3
You and me both!!
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Also.. a freshly oiled K&N air filter can cause you to fail emissions. Or any other type of oiled air filter.. ran into that issue on my nova.. I tuned my car at a buddies shop, he had access to one of the emissions sniffers.. and we had it running perfectly and easily passed the sniffer.. the next day I cleaned and oiled the air filter, 2 days after that.. I failed the emissions test for the state.. took it back to my buddies shop and it failed on his sniffer.. he took off the K&N.. ran it for 5 minutes, revving it up good.. then sniffed it again and it passed with flying colors.. Its possible I used to much oil when I re-oiled the filter.. Back then the K&N filters didnt come pre-oiled.. but came with a small pouch of oil to use with them or you could buy it in a spray. I ran it through emissions without the K&N and it passed perfectly.

Another Moral ;) Beware of oiled air filters if you are failing emissions :)

Tunes67
Chronicle-Rod

Post by Chronicle-Rod »

I'm glad we don't have to deal with that crap out here in Alberta :D

I wonder if an oil catch can would help with the burning oil, since it removes most of it.
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Chronicle-Rod wrote:I'm glad we don't have to deal with that crap out here in Alberta :D
^^^Werd! I don't even have a cat....
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

Chronicle-Rod wrote:I'm glad we don't have to deal with that crap out here in Alberta :D

I wonder if an oil catch can would help with the burning oil, since it removes most of it.
Yes, and oil change would help. But an oil change WITH Lucas Oil Stabilizer will do wonders.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

You know, I've been tempted to try that stuff, I though it was just a gimic product so I've never looked into it, but it guess it's the real-deal.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:You know, I've been tempted to try that stuff, I though it was just a gimic product so I've never looked into it, but it guess it's the real-deal.
Yah this Lucas Oil Stabilizer kicks a--. Before putting this stuff in my 1.8L engine i was going though about 1L of oil every 2500km. It's now 1800km now with this stuff and it's still at the FULL mark on the dipstick :]. Very impressed.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

interesting read
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

quicksliver wrote:
Nd4SpdSe wrote:You know, I've been tempted to try that stuff, I though it was just a gimic product so I've never looked into it, but it guess it's the real-deal.
Yah this Lucas Oil Stabilizer kicks a--. Before putting this stuff in my 1.8L engine i was going though about 1L of oil every 2500km. It's now 1800km now with this stuff and it's still at the FULL mark on the dipstick :]. Very impressed.
I'll definitely give that stuff a try on the 626. Is it OK to use it with Synthetics?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
quicksliver wrote:
I'll definitely give that stuff a try on the 626. Is it OK to use it with Synthetics?

No idea. Didn't read anything about synthetics on the bottle though...
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

ya they just came out with a Synthetic llucas that can be used with all types of oil
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”