Mx3 wont crank or start

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Muscle_Mark

Mx3 wont crank or start

Post by Muscle_Mark »

Hey guys, having a problem with my mx3. In hot weather even when its been sitting all day it wont crank or start. I check the voltage at the starter and there is none. What else should i check? Clutch switch ?ecu?

Please i really need my car for work and appreciate any input.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Check your battery terminal connections first off. If those are good connections and free of corrosion.. then I would suspect the starter itself.. When they heat up the core of the starter expands a bit and as the bushings/bearings wear out.. the core spindle can actually wedge against the outer housing.. preventing the starter from spinning. Now I havent seen this actually happen to a MX-3 starter specifically.. but I have seen it happen to several different types of starters in general. So it wouldnt surprise me to see it happen to a MX-3 starter as well. Best of luck man.

Tunes67
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Yes there is a switch on the clutch. Check out the drawing on my web page under info. So in the start position you should have a voltage to the BLK / BLU wire on the clutch switch and then on the BLK / RED with the clutch drepressed.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Muscle_Mark

Post by Muscle_Mark »

Thanks for the help. Yes i thought the starter as well but there was no voltage coming to it ....THe mx3 manual talks about the Mtx starter interlock switch..is this the clutch switch?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Do you hear the starter solenoid clicking when you turn the key to the start position?

Tunes67
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Yes - the clutch switch. Have a look at that drawing.

Tunes - no voltage so wouldn't be any clicking.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Grants.. if there is a dead short in the starter would you still register voltage at the dead short? I know that when the starter in my Nova seized up.. it behaved like a complete dead short.. but I could still hear the starter solenoid clicking.

Tunes67
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Sound a lot like the clutch safety switch on the pedal going bad. I had this problem for a day or two until it gave out. I ended up having to jump it out in a parking lot one day to get the car going . Over the past 5 to 6 years I have come across several people stuck in parking lot where thay say the started would crank and other times it won't. If you have a good battery connection then check the two safety switches.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

I'm assuming he's checking the solenoid wire from the ignition. He should really do this with that wire disconnected.

Regardless of a dead short or not, if the relay was clicking it must be getting some power, at least enough to pull in the solenoid. A dead short in the starter might then rob the battery voltage but you must get some at some stage for the solenoid to pull in (click). A good way to check for a dead short in the starter motor is to turn the headlights on while your trying to crank and see what they do.

I'd be check in this order:
- battery and starter motor connections
- power to one side of the clutch switch when cranking (clutch not pressed)
- depending on that - power to other side of the clutch switch when cranking and with the clutch depressed
- depending on that - tap the starter motor with a hammer while cranking (the solenoid might be sticking although this seems unlikely if he's got no voltage).
Muscle_Mark

Post by Muscle_Mark »

Thanks so much bros ! Yes i made a 100 % sure it wasnt the Starter ....Definatly no voltage getting there. I'll be checking it tomorrow and let you guys know how it turns out.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”