BELTS ISSUE

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jrors
Supporting Member

BELTS ISSUE

Post by jrors »

I recently replaced my 2 belts on my 93 RS and now I get a type of grinding sound that I believe is coming from the install somehow. Can anyone please tell me what may be wrong? I really hope someone here has had this issue before as well as a solution since at this point, I'm stumped!

Thanks in advance guys!
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Maybe the belt(s) are too tight and causing excess pressure on the shaft bearings of a component like the alternator. Alternator bearings going bad, kind of sound like a grinding/buzzing/like-a-dozen-baby-rattles noise. Can you tell where the sound is coming from? Are the belts tensioned so that you have ~1/2" deflection when putting moderate pressure on the center of the belt's longest span?
Image -Jim
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

Well the Alt. belt has no deflection, while the other belt has 1/2 deflection and I also noticed that when I pull the car into drive, the sound stops......... and it is definetly making the grinding sound around the belt area when I have it in park............but, when I first start the car up.....it is quite,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe about a minute after, it starts making the grinding sound.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Well the Alt. belt has no deflection,
Thats not good - it will snap very soon if you don't back off the adjustment ASAP.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

Thanx Grants. Will do.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”