Money to Burn? Buy an MX3!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions

Is Mazda most expensive car you've ever maintained?

Yes
38%
No
46%
The money's no object, my car is my lover
16%

Total votes: 37

Robotaz

Money to Burn? Buy an MX3!

Post by Robotaz »

I'm curious why ppl talk about doing so many tedious chores themselves to save money, but own a car(GS) with $50 tie rod ends, $50 ball joints, $40 wheel bearings, $350 EGR valves, $150 intake solenoids, $100 tires, $150 shocks, $180 window switches, $80 plug wires, and on, and on, and on? I certainly do not own a Mazda to be economical and can't help but wonder why anyone without money burning a hole in their pocket would own one. Anyone?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Doesnt matter what car you own.. you will always have to maintain the car. Some cars are more expensive to maintain than others. Oddly enough.. My MX-3 is cheaper to maintain in many aspects than my Subaru XT, even though the XT is older and crappier by comparison. But if you think parts for the MX-3 are expensive.. why not look up the same cost on that list of parts for a BMW or Mercedes? ;) Now add in the cost of labor if you pay a mechanic to do the work for you. Thats the reason so many people work on their own cars.. its not always a matter of wanting to (though there are lots that do it as a hobby just for fun) but of neccessity. Granted I would never own a BMW or Mercedes simply because I dont believe in status symbols. My personal opinion is that above $40k is all status when it comes to buying a new car. Granted there is also the "Cool" factor.. which is also quite a motivator and if you have the cash and view cars more as toys than as transportation.. then have at it.. after all.. he who dies with the coolest toys wins :D

Tunes67
Robotaz

Post by Robotaz »

Hmmm, i think i will check on BMWs and Mercedes. While I'm doing that I'll check into Ferraris, Porsches, Maseratis, and Lamborghinis. Of course none of those are only worth $2000 dollars though so I guess the comparison's pointless. By the way, "that list of parts" i didn't have to look up. That's a small percentage of all of the ridiculous things I have had to buy for my $1800 MX3. Also in that list would be: a $200 radiator, $100 to fix one freakin transmission cooler line, $32 for two radiator caps, $400 for a timing belt and water pump installation, $115 for just the front brakes, $155 for a half axle replacement, and the list goes on. I seriously just want to know if ppl continue paying these ridiculous maintainence fees or if it ever ends. My car is just a toy, but I could've gotten a boat and a four wheeler had I known what I was in store for. My Ford F150 with 232000 miles has had 2 tires and 2 shocks needed for a whopping total of $200 in five years. I've owned my MX3 for 6 months!
Last edited by Robotaz on April 8th, 2005, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

When it comes to owning imports like a Mazda, Yota, Nissan, I'm not sure there's that big a difference anymore in the cost of replacement parts. I used to think differently, that Mazda was the most expensive of them. Not so sure anymore. Just bought a new (reman) starter from NAPA Auto for my 92 Celica and the damn thing was $200 USD PLUS a $62 core charge! Damn that seems like a lot for a startermotor, especially for what may be the most common, numerous and popular 4cyl. engine that Toyota ever produced.
Image -Jim
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

my mx3 has cost me very little in "necessary repairs" since i have owned it

everyone has different experiences, just talk to quicksliver , he is just the opposite from me as far as repairs go

but its unfortunate parts are so damn expensive
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I think it probably comes back to how well the car was taken care of initially.. if the car was beat on by the original owner.. its probably going to have more common component failures. I have been able to determine that with my car.. it had two previous owners.. both being female. Other than basic neglect.. (lack of timely oil changes for example) the car seems in great condition for a car with 120k miles on it. As for the resale value of the car.. that depends on where you live.. some of these MX-3's are snatched up for five grand US. Others are cheaper. Buying a used car is ALWAYS a crap shoot unless its certified before hand. You could always do a frame off restoration and put everything back to new OEM condition.. then you wouldnt have to worry about it :)

Tunes67
Robotaz

Post by Robotaz »

Or for the same money go buy a new Scion tC.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Possibly.. then pay more for car insurance too ;) Trust me man.. you are preaching to the choir on this one.. :)

Tune67
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Robotaz wrote:Hmmm, i think i will check on BMWs and Mercedes. While I'm doing that I'll check into Ferraris, Porsches, Maseratis, and Lamborghinis. Of course none of those are only worth $2000 dollars though so I guess the comparison's pointless. By the way, "that list of parts" i didn't have to look up. That's a small percentage of all of the ridiculous things I have had to buy for my $1800 MX3. Also in that list would be: a $200 radiator, $100 to fix one freakin transmission cooler line, $32 for two radiator caps, $400 for a timing belt and water pump installation, $115 for just the front brakes, $155 for a half axle replacement, and the list goes on. I seriously just want to know if ppl continue paying these ridiculous maintainence fees or if it ever ends. My car is just a toy, but I could've gotten a boat and a four wheeler had I known what I was in store for. My Ford F150 with 232000 miles has had 2 tires and 2 shocks needed for a whopping total of $200 in five years. I've owned my MX3 for 6 months!
Sounds to me like you have gotten ripped off plenty of times. I think you should shop around to different shops because some of those prices are way outta wack. Plus more than half of that is so easy i know middles schoolers who could pull it off.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
Chronicle-Rod

Post by Chronicle-Rod »

I haven't had to spend anything on my MX-3 since I got it about a year and a half ago. Maybe it has something to do with the way you drive and/or maintain it?

I could buy a brand new vehicle, drain all the oil out of it then drive it until it craters. That doesn't make it a POS, that makes me a moron.
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

I haven't had to spend money fixing mine, aside from replacing the thermostat, in 4 years
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

My MX3 is a 1993 GS with 187,000 miles on it. I have every repair record on it from the two previous owners, and other than normal wear (ex brake pads, tires), this thing has had nothing wrong with it. The struts were replaced, but that was because the last owner wanted the Koni fully adjustable struts. The timing belt was replaced, but that was a preventive maintenance thing. The exhaust was replaced, but that was because the last owner wanted a performance exhaust.

I guess my point is that there are a lot of factors that determine how good a car is. Like others have said, simple preventive maintenance (ex oil changes, tune ups) really help extend the life of the vehicle. Same thing with how hard previous owners and/or you drove the vehicle.

My 1992 GS that I had... Wow. The manual tranny leaked fluid, a few tranny mounts were blown, the water cooler was shot, the radiator was missing a mount, the rear right rotor was cracked, had to replace the emergency brake cables, the calipers, the alternator... I won't list everything, but there sure were a lot of things wrong with it.
No more MX-3.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

In the over 10 years I've owned my MX, I've found it to be very reliable, efficient and cost effective. I would do my own oil, plug and coolant changes, but much sooner than what the schedule calls for. I was always more pro-active in my preventative maintenance and maybe that's why I never experienced any catostrophic failures or break-downs. Replacements due to failure were, 3 axles and clutch rubber hydraulic line - that's it. Other things like brake pads, caliper overhaul and rotor replacement are all just normal wear and tear items. For the first 10 years it was my daily driver, now it's the summer toy. It deserves to enjoy it's twylight years.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

I love my car's and bikes and yea they have had and
are getting the TLC that they deserve.....

As for the Race car's yea MEGA bucks spent their
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

For reliability, been pleased w/the 95 RS. Bought 4 yrs ago w/101K miles on the speedo & now @135+K. Has never left me stranded and no repairs needed beyond normal maint. like belts, brake pads, tune-ups, battery. Only one previous owner, driven gently by a nice lady. No maint. records but my pre-buy inspection found the car to be in great mech shape & well cared for. Put to immediate use as a daily driver for 2+ years. Now gets driven a couple times/wk.

Before buying my MX-3, a few other requirements may've helped avoid some types of repairs. (Just my.02 & POV)
  • 1. Wanted a 94/95 - later model yrs of any used car tend to be more reliable w/fewest recalls, TSB's, so those bugs have been worked out. 94/95 also doesn't have motorized seat belts to break down.

2. No ATX - Too much of a known potential Mazda/Ford problem area & I just like driving MTX's. Plus, any ATX car has a lot of added complexity so more potential failure points IMO.

3. No power windows or locks - These are just something else to end up needing repairs. Besides, w/only 2 doors & windows & a sm. cabin, reaching the opposite door from the dr. seat is no biggie.

4. No rear windshield wiper - Again, something else to break down.
Have owned American cars (Chevy, Plymouth, Dodge) with similar age and miles and almost all of those began falling apart like they were on a damn self-destruct timer. That includes H20 pumps, starters, radiators, alternators, trannies, A/C, wiper motors, pwr windows & locks etc. etc. American car parts sure cost less than imports but I wonder if it's cuz you always need more of em lol. My most reliable American car ever, was a 1971 Monte Carlo. 350 cubic in. V8 was bulletproof and other parts held up well too. Of course gas was super-cheap then too.
Image -Jim

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”