Sealing Projectors

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Redlined

Sealing Projectors

Post by Redlined »

For those who have made them, I am in the process now and have the bottom of the housing cut and am in the stages of sealing the bastards! Where the reflector and projector housing is exposed how would you go about sealing them? you cant just whack on silicon so should i fiberglass the bottom of the lights to cover the lights where they are exposed or what did you guys do??? need help asap!!!
thanx
Taras

Post by Taras »

I would use aluminum flashing sheets cut to shape with an epoxy like JB weld. Fiberglass cracks too easy. Silicone is just a bunch of goo.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

on the bottom part we used ducttape & sprayable glue. several layers of both.

on the top part we used some fine mesh and 2 component plastic.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Cpl_Bryant

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

I got some rubber from Home Depot that I think is supposed to be used with bathtubs. I cut it to the general shape I needed to fill the hole. I then tried clear silicone to adhere/seal it, that just peeled right off. Then I tried some liquid nails stuff, that was still soft and gel-ly when it cured so I ended up using this 5-min curing epoxy that I used to mount my grill to the bumper! So far so good, minor moisture from time to time, but not bad.
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/cplbryant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

MAKE sure you seal them well..my first set that I made the franken lights... i experimented cutting with those..anywho..Yesterday I noticed a DEAD fly inside AHA so now they sit out of my car and im cleaning and resealing..not to worried Im planning on making a new pair for me later on. oh and there was dirt, the oines I made for a guy were sealed nicely..I wish mine would have come out the same.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
kljordan

Post by kljordan »

Hey if you would wanna make me a set of those civic projectors for my mx.. just let me know.. send me an email give me a price and hopefully we can make it happen.. i know lot of people say you cant do it without cutting the actual car, so i dunno let me know something though thanks ...
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

We sealed a set with fiberglass and it worked out very well. No moister and no cracks. What kind of abuse are your headlights getting Taras? :lol: :wink:
I would use the fiberglass method. Just duct tape the hole and fiberglass the over the tape. The tape will give the fiberglass it's shape. Then take the fiberglass off the tape and peel the tape off, then cut the fiberglass to the desired shape and expoxy it on the housing. Done in a few hours...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Taras

Post by Taras »

PATDIESEL wrote:What kind of abuse are your headlights getting Taras? :lol: :wink:
I play soccer with them.... too many projectors kicking around.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”