Headlight lens question (No not cleaning it)

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
freyguy_412

Headlight lens question (No not cleaning it)

Post by freyguy_412 »

I searched and searched but to no real avail... got a lot of conflicting information.

I've seen somewhere that a glass headlight lens exists for the MX-3, and if the limited info I found is right, it's on the Euro spec MX-3. Would any one know where I might be able to order a set of these, if they truly exist?
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
Taras

Post by Taras »

Glass fluted lenses come stock on European Mx-3's. Where can you order just the lenses? From No-where, only complete assemblies are sold. Not that the lenses alone are gonna be any good to you anyway. Why? Search the Lighting forum, it's been discussed. Where, can you get a set of E-spec headlights? From Europe. eBay.de maybe. But, if you are in USA, they are technically be illegal, but who will know, unless you have annual inspections.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Why would they be illegal in the US? Please excuse my ignorance. The MX-3 is actually the first car I have owned that doesnt have glass headlights in it. So this confuses me a bit :?

Tunes67
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

The cut off would be in the wrong headlight and interfere with oncoming driver's vision.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Ahh I see.. because the lenses are made for right hand drive not left drive.. ok.. that makes sense.. Its not because they are glass its because of the internals. Thanks man.

Tunes67
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

Is there a reason you say the lenses would be no good? Maybe if I can get these headlight assemblies, I can just heat and remove the glass lenses and replace my stock assemblie's lenses. That would theoretically rectify the RH drive issue? I was just hoping there would be a company online that might sell these as an OEM replacement. Of course something for our cars can't be that simple! :)
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
phillyMX3mayn

Post by phillyMX3mayn »

why r there holes in the back of the headlight housings? i mean it doesnt make sense. anything can get in there. so what is the point of sealing up the lense to the housing so well after u take it apart and clean it. i mean isnt that how u get condensation in there? nothing would get in there if it were all sealed tight. right? do u guys know what im talking about? there r like 2 holes on each headlight with rubber tubes coming out. if u seal these wouldn't the headlight stay clear?
-Steve
Taras

Post by Taras »

Grants wrote:The cut off would be in the wrong headlight and interfere with oncoming driver's vision.
If they are E-spec lights then the flare will be in the right place, unless they are from UK.

E-spec lights are illegal in USA, but legal in Canada.

E-spec lights have different internal reflector, so E-spec lens on the DOT headlights will not make better beam, becuase it will be like apples mixed with oranges.

The two holes in the back of the headlights are for ventilation. If they would be fully sealed they would need to be a vacuum inside for moisture not to form.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”