95 DOHC problem!! help please!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
black_mx3

95 DOHC problem!! help please!

Post by black_mx3 »

i have a 95 MX3 with a DOHC motor and it seems to be VERY sluggesh on the acceleration...i figured that it would pack more punch than that..any suggestions?

The spark plugs, and wires were replaced..but there is a cone style filter on the intake, and i guess the sensor was messed up and the car wouldn't stay idol..but now its fine...but when i drive it, it seems to "hold back" when i put down the accelerator..i know that supposivly there is a compression problem with this motor, but the car doesn't smoke and runs quiet! so i cant see how it could have that problem.. :?
buying modded cars is like dating a pregnant woman...somone else already had the fun!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Start with a compression test.. post the results and we will go from there.

Tunes67
black_mx3

Post by black_mx3 »

well aparently 2 of the cylinders have compresion problems...aparently too much! :? how can that be? but that was just word from somone who apparently knows the car..but anyways theres another post on here about one that had the same problem, and it had low compression in the #2 cylinder, but all the problem was...was the distributer!!

But i guess i cant be too sure..
buying modded cars is like dating a pregnant woman...somone else already had the fun!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I have the same engine and have been going through it for the past 2 months now.. so lets start with the basics.. tell me what your compression scores are (for each cylinder) and we will go from there :)

Tunes67
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

And if you go back through that other post.. you will see my car was in the middle of it all LOL But I have solved all those issues with my engine so.. lets see what we can take care of on yours :)

Tunes67
black_mx3

Post by black_mx3 »

well..i'll have to call the guy up who did the test and see what teh scores are, cause i just bought this car like 5 days ago..so i dont know much at all!
black_mx3

Post by black_mx3 »

the car works fine now!! i guess it just needed to be driven right..lol I was taking it to the guy who was gonna do the swap and i got a little frusterated cause it was working like shizz, so i just stomped it and when the rpm's got up to about 6000 i heard a small "poof" then it worked fine..no problems now and it pulls hard!!

thanks for everyone's help and suggestions!
johnboi85

Post by johnboi85 »

????????????????????
bp mx-3
johnboi85

Post by johnboi85 »

????????????????????
bp mx-3
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Hmmm.. now that would worry me.. I wonder if you had some carbon built up on the valve seat(s) preventing the valves from closing all the way.. revving the engine up as such may have got that carbon out.. run some good fuel injector cleaner through your gas for the next couple of tank fulls. And I would still get a compression test done.

Tunes67
black_mx3

Post by black_mx3 »

its funny cause my mechanic said that it could be carbon build up, and yes i put 91 octane gas in it and fuel injector cleaner in it yesterday and it runs nicely!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Just to let you know.. that carbon build up on the valve seats doesnt occur unless your valve guide seals are bad. Thats why I said it would worry me if this occurred in my car. I would still get that compression test done.. you can get a compression tester for $30-$50 US and do the test yourself.. its very easy to do. And it will tell you if you are having any valve issues.

Tunes67
black_mx3

Post by black_mx3 »

yes..iam getting a static test done and apparently it works better than just using those testers in each of the plugs...i guess he does the test with it running and without it running and it will give him a more accurate idea of whats wrong..but for now it works great and for $700 thats an awsome deal for a "working" car!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”