locking hood pins

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

locking hood pins

Post by mitmaks »

I was checking out these hood pins, since ive got c/f hood they'd match nice, but thats not the main point, ive had those cheaper brand that everyone has and they get stolen by little a--holes (would love to unload shotgun in their throat) :x
My concern is that hood on mx3 is sloped/curved, so i dont know how would these fit ???
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33646
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
matt-gerrard
Supporting Member

Re: locking hood pins

Post by matt-gerrard »

mitmaks wrote:I(would love to unload shotgun in their throat)
happy thoughts,happy thoughts haha :P .... most hoods are sloped/curved, so i think they would fit and if not modify and i think they're a great idea .......think i might pick up some ....
I just love the cars that we have no matt-er(lol) how little or much you do to them there all so beautiful!Drive it, like you stole it!'92 gs V6
http://www.dfwmazdas.com/vbulletin/imag ... 1148070546
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

if they lock, how to they get stolen?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

I had different ones, not lockable ones, ive had these kind, and they suck as in anti-theft
I really dont want to get another set of these since they might as well be messed up by a--holes in my town
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I once did a valve lash adjustment on a 69 camaro that had a fiberglass flip nose hood that had those type of hood locks. They mounted them on posts coming up from the firewall and then thru the hood at the back near the windshield (yeah I know that description sucks.. but best I can think of) They worked ok as I recall.. but they were a pain to get adjusted correctly (The passenger side one took more pressure to release than the drivers side - as in pushing down and turning to get it unlocked) I would think you will need a relatively flat area to install and use them. You might be able to use these on the MX-3 the same way.. at the back of the hood with the firewall lip as the stud mounting point. Then you could use the other type up front if they fit better on the curves of the hood (dunno.. never installed them on a MX-3). At least they wont get the hood even if they mess up the front 2 hood pins trying to get it apart. Good Luck!

Tunes67
Absath

Post by Absath »

Would it be at all possible to use the stock hood latch on a carbon fiber hood for security, and then use the hood pins as additional holding power for safety?

-Tim
Don't park drunk, accidents cause people.

92 Blaze Red MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, ACT Clutch, KL 36 ECU, SS Clutch Line
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Absath wrote:Would it be at all possible to use the stock hood latch on a carbon fiber hood for security, and then use the hood pins as additional holding power for safety?

-Tim
yes but not a good idea over 80mph. i was able to use the stock latch for some time. i adjusted the latch as far down as possable and then i put in adjustable rubber stops in. worked great except for high speeds. like when i was drafting my dads car at 130. not a good idea. the hood was flapping as much as 4 inches. so after that i got hood pins.

Mitmaks

im using pins vey similar to thoes that are CF. matches perfect. even with the direction of the CF lay. i put mine just to the inside of the headlight. so their mounted on the support bar running over the headlight. was a pain. but only took me about 1.5 to 2 hours. but i used an existing hole in the support bar, and drilled it a bit bigger, than i had to bend it the same angle as the hood which with a steel bolt and nut and a few washers bends quite nicely. and the cf part that mounts on the hood, has a rubber gasket under it and when you get it all bolted on it matches the curv very well. the other thing is they are exactly the same as the Stainless steel ones or the crome ones but they send you an adhesive backed piece of CF that sticks to the piece of stainless. so they are vey durable. iv had mine on for about a year now. they have worked out very nice. definatly alot cleaner than the ones they send you.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Josh wrote:
Absath wrote:Would it be at all possible to use the stock hood latch on a carbon fiber hood for security, and then use the hood pins as additional holding power for safety?
I think he meant hoodpins and oem latch at the same time.

Thats what I do anyway, and no problems yet.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Absath

Post by Absath »

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. I know hood pins are required to keep the hood secure, but I was just wondering if anyone used the hood latch as well, so it wasn't so easy for people to open up your hood.

I think that's what I may do then, just use both.

-Tim
Don't park drunk, accidents cause people.

92 Blaze Red MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, ACT Clutch, KL 36 ECU, SS Clutch Line
wickedmx3

Post by wickedmx3 »

Those hood pin locks are awesomeand they are subtle. A friend of mine has them on his ride and they look great! Go for it!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Ive seen themon sale at local car parts stores, same price. Ive heard good things about those. GFetting myself a pair for my carbon fiber hood.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

post pics asap when you get them installed
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

here are some little older pics of my car about 7 months or so ago.

not too bad
Legato626

locking pins

Post by Legato626 »

i am going to be changing out my hole front end here in a week and i was going to get some hood pins and i like these but the only quetion i have is how derable are they? (like if i am hiting 110 is it going to come off becuase that would realy sux)
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

well the hood is solid at all times. even drafting at 120mph. and no problems at 140mph on the freeway. im not saying i go that fast :driver: .

but it is definatly stable. and well worth it. i use my stock latch for added insurance. eventually i will take that out and use a safty cable on the underside of the hood, when i get the FMIC

Return to “Appearance”