GS/ZE Alternator

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jbruynson

GS/ZE Alternator

Post by jbruynson »

Hey, im just wondering if the gs alternator and the ze alternators are interchangable? I have a pretty nice system to put in my mx, i'll be running about 2000 watts, so obviously that means a HO alt, approx 200 amps or so.

My question is, if I track one down now for my gs, when I do the ZE swap in a couple months, will I just be able to use my same alternator somehow? If not is it going to be next to impossible to find an HO ZE alt?

Thanks
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

You can use the same alternator on the ZE.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

check out the FAQ section silly ;)
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

I just did this swap this weekend. All you need is the alt, the bracket cuz i think the gs one is different, and you need the wireing plug for the ze alt. All you need to do is remove the old alt, put in the new one(you might need a longer bolt for the bracket), then wire it up. The middle wire of the ze plug is a black on that needs to go to an ignition wire and you can find one on the distributor(red & white wire) then your ready to go, its just that easy.
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

thanks again, from now on I look through faq before I ask a question :)

one other thing, does anyone know where to find an HO alt for an mx3? I haven't been able to find one around here yet.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”