Where to find aftermarket cam...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
prototype

Where to find aftermarket cam...

Post by prototype »

I've searched and I can find cams for the DOHC b6, but apparently I can't swap heads(or am I wrong? I keep finding conflicting info... I'm confused :| ) so that's useless to me...? Is there ANYWHERE that has some kind of performance cam for the SOHC? Please list them if you know em' ! Thanks in advance...

Oh and just so this thread doesn't turn into another "engine swap war", I know about the benefits of the BP swap, and it's still an option for me, just not at this moment...

Thanks!
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Re: Where to find aftermarket cam...

Post by monty73741 »

the miata cams work but you have to switch them so they miata exhaust cam goes on our intake side & the intake goes on the exhaust side
jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

check corksport, im pretty sure they sell them. look under 323 sohc.
http://www.corksport.com/main.php3?prim ... t%3D220772
92rsmx-3

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

does any one know if the 323 sohc motor is the same as the mx3 one?
95 Eagle Talon Tsi - New Toy
92 Mazda MX-3 RS - probably selling
86 Mazda Rx-7 - motor blew going 145
86 1/2 Toyota Supra - pissed me off sold it
91 Taurus... SHO - died
prototype

Post by prototype »

Ok I've found some interesting information...

The mazda B6 found in the 323 has the 8 valve head, and produces 82hp which is strictly just called a B6. The B6 found in the mx3 has the only 16 valve head, which makes our engine a B6-2E...

The B6, B3, B5, B6T, and B6D are all the same block, but all have different heads and in the case of the B3 and B5.. different bore and stroke.

Also I'm guessing some water jackets will be different and same with oil passages. So that would be the only reason I can see why other heads from the other B series engines wouldn't fit on the B6-2E.

How closely matched are the exhaust ports on the B6T compared to the B6-2E? What about other motors? I ran across someone who put a ford probe header (2.0) on their car, and they just had to drill a few holes and grind a little more shape into the header's ports...

Yes I'm thinking of turbo charging it. . .
hehe..
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

the B6T ports are quite abit smaller than the B6DE. by like 1/2" to 3/4" smaller. when i put on the manifold i had to dremmel for quite some time, to port match it to the MX gasket.
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

so now you're telling me that I can put a b6t head on the b6 sohc 16 valve. I'm freakin confused, someone slap me around a bit :?
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki »

[quote="prototype"]Ok I've found some interesting information...

The mazda B6 found in the 323 has the 8 valve head, and produces 82hp which is strictly just called a B6. The B6 found in the mx3 has the only 16 valve head, which makes our engine a B6-2E...

The B6, B3, B5, B6T, and B6D are all the same block, but all have different heads and in the case of the B3 and B5.. different bore and stroke.

How closely matched are the exhaust ports on the B6T compared to the B6-2E? What about other motors? I ran across someone who put a ford probe header (2.0) on their car, and they just had to drill a few holes and [quote]

mazda 323/ford laser used B6 sohc 8-valve engine 1987-1990, they then used B6 sohc 16-valve 1990-1994 ish they also used the dohc b6 as well to add to the confusion + BP sohc & dohc on the faster models

to see exhaust flange differences see this:

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/rosscd ... langes.jpg

dohc 16-valve top, sohc 16-valve middle, sohc 8-valve bottom
1990 BG mazda familia Infini

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2532757" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

what is a Mazda familia Infini ? read here:

http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Actually the B5 and the B6 had the same bore diameter and the B5DE & ZE have used the same heads as the B6 at various time in it production run. The B5 does have an advantage over the B6 in that it produces more torque over a wider rpm range and peak hp of the ZE is within a couple HP of the BP-DE and K8.
prototype wrote:Ok I've found some interesting information...

Also I'm guessing some water jackets will be different and same with oil passages. So that would be the only reason I can see why other heads from the other B series engines wouldn't fit on the B6-2E.

How closely matched are the exhaust ports on the B6T compared to the B6-2E? What about other motors? I ran across someone who put a ford probe header (2.0) on their car, and they just had to drill a few holes and grind a little more shape into the header's ports...

Yes I'm thinking of turbo charging it. . .
hehe..
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

No they are not assuming you are talking about the B6E in the North American market 323's. These are an 8 Valve version of the B6 SOHC. There are a lot of old performance parts for these engine due to the popularity of the B5E engine (short stroke version of the B6) internationally in GT-4 & 5 classes of motorsports back in the late '80 to about '91
92rsmx-3 wrote:does any one know if the 323 sohc motor is the same as the mx3 one?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”