Question, smell gas .....

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
DVH

Question, smell gas .....

Post by DVH »

Hey guys, question for ya , When I fill up the car, and ONLY WHEN I FILL UP...I smell gas for about 5 - 10 miles, or 10 0r 20 min. Then it goes away....no leaks, I did check..I did just get a new gas take a year ago...and injectors are good..no leaks...what you guys think?? thanx for the help
Derek Van Horne MX-3.com Member # 33
94 MX-3 Silver Stone Metallic CAR is SOLD
Car Domain Web page MX-3
Car Domain Web page SRT-4
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

New gas tank? When you put the sending unit into the new gas tank did you replace the seal that goes around the sending unit where it goes into the tank? Granted I havent seen this for myself on the MX-3 yet .. but I was under the impression that this is inside the car under the backseat somewhere? If all the above assumptions are correct, then thats what I would check first :D

Tunes67
DVH

Post by DVH »

thanx for the feedback, I'll try that and see...... :lol:
Car Domain Web page MX-3
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

Tunes67 wrote:New gas tank? When you put the sending unit into the new gas tank did you replace the seal that goes around the sending unit where it goes into the tank? Granted I havent seen this for myself on the MX-3 yet .. but I was under the impression that this is inside the car under the backseat somewhere? If all the above assumptions are correct, then thats what I would check first :D

Tunes67

I don't have any helpful information here but I gotta say that Tunes67 has a world of information to offer people. More than once he's given me and other peple good advice, it's appreciated by everyone here I'm sure.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I don't have any helpful information here but I gotta say that Tunes67 has a world of information to offer people. More than once he's given me and other peple good advice, it's appreciated by everyone here I'm sure.
:oops:

Hows this for luck guys? Finally a lady that appreciates me and she is on the other end of the continent ;)

All kidding aside.. I am just glad I can help out :)

Tunes67
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

possibly the gas tank vent?
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

is the smell inside or outside of the car? do you leave your door open when you fill up? could just be fumes floating into the cabin when you fill up. then it airs out after 10 minutes. no puddles under the car or anything?
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
DVH

Post by DVH »

ryanlindenberg wrote:is the smell inside or outside of the car? do you leave your door open when you fill up? could just be fumes floating into the cabin when you fill up. then it airs out after 10 minutes. no puddles under the car or anything?
hahah..i shouldn't laugh though.....THat could be the reason, but i doubt it...see the weird thing is that it is only when i fillup and last for like 5 - 10 min and if it was the seal or vent....if that were the case, I would smell gas all the time...imlost
:roll:
Car Domain Web page MX-3
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

does it do it when its warm and cold? maybe something to do with the charcoal canister?
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

if it was the seal or vent....if that were the case, I would smell gas all the time
That wouldnt neccessarily be the case.. Think about it.. when you are filling up the tank.. gas is flowing into the tank at a high rate of speed.. sloshing, foaming, and bubbling inside your tank as its filling up.. there would be a much higher concentration of gas vapors in your tank during fill up.. and as the tank gets more and more filled with the liquid gas.. the vapors are forced out and have to go somewhere.. most will go back up the fill tube and vent around the gas pump nozzle.. but if that seal wasnt quite right.. some vapor could be forced out around the seal. Granted.. its a lot of work to check.. and let me ask you this.. when you first take off your gas cap to fill up at the gas station (after going from a full tank to empty), Do you notice the sound of a vaccum being released as you unscrew the cap? You should. If you dont.. then your fuel system isnt sealed. And again I would suspect that seal around the sending unit. At least there is something you can double check with. Good Luck :)

Tunes67
valenzul

Post by valenzul »

I just fixed this problem.

After fully filling up will the problem come up.
This was because of the rust accumilation from around the rubber seal.
What I did was to clean the rubber and sand off all rust.
Get some rubber cleaning spray (should be at your local autostore)
This helps to get it nice and soft so that it will seal better.
You need to also clean the areas where this rubber is going on.
Be very careful that you do not drop any rust/foreign object in the tank.
I use brake cleaner or you can use acetone to clean these areas.
JUST MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT SPARK AROUND AREA when using any metal objects!!!!! cover as much as you can the opening.

After this I did not have any more issues or smell.

Thank GOD no one smoked around my car when this was happening.
DVH

Post by DVH »

Tunes67 wrote:
if it was the seal or vent....if that were the case, I would smell gas all the time
That wouldnt neccessarily be the case.. Think about it.. when you are filling up the tank.. gas is flowing into the tank at a high rate of speed.. sloshing, foaming, and bubbling inside your tank as its filling up.. there would be a much higher concentration of gas vapors in your tank during fill up.. and as the tank gets more and more filled with the liquid gas.. the vapors are forced out and have to go somewhere.. most will go back up the fill tube and vent around the gas pump nozzle.. but if that seal wasnt quite right.. some vapor could be forced out around the seal. Granted.. its a lot of work to check.. and let me ask you this.. when you first take off your gas cap to fill up at the gas station (after going from a full tank to empty), Do you notice the sound of a vaccum being released as you unscrew the cap? You should. If you dont.. then your fuel system isnt sealed. And again I would suspect that seal around the sending unit. At least there is something you can double check with. Good Luck :)

Tunes67
yeah, good point, i retract my previous statement, the more i think about it , it starts to make a lot mroe sense. I 'll have to check that out, thanx for the info, much appreciated!
Car Domain Web page MX-3

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”