How many Litres of 50/50 coolant does it take to fill?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
quicksliver

How many Litres of 50/50 coolant does it take to fill?

Post by quicksliver »

I need to change my coolant. How many Litres of 50/50 coolant does it take to fill everything from totally empty?

Also, in the online-shop manual it says to 'disconnect the oil cooler hoses'....where are these located and what purpose do they serve?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: How many Litres of 50/50 coolant does it take to fill?

Post by jschrauwen »

quicksliver wrote:I need to change my coolant. How many Litres of 50/50 coolant does it take to fill everything from totally empty?
Page E2-3 '92 Manual, 7.5Lt, 7.9US qt, 6.6Imp qt

Also, in the online-shop manual it says to 'disconnect the oil cooler hoses'....where are these located and what purpose do they serve?
These are the ATX fluid coolant lines that utilize a section of the rad for cooling. Removal required only if you were going to remove the rad, which I believe you are not doing, but rather filling from a dry state, right? Therefore removal not necessary.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

Thanks. Also, it says to use 'soft water'. What is soft water? Is that like just bottled water that you would buy at the local store? or does it means distilled water?
AZN_playboy21

Post by AZN_playboy21 »

just mix it with hot tap water, so it gets up to temp faster.
if u drain the rad, u probably need only about 4 ltrs of coolant, cause u won't be able to get the old coolant out of the motor, unless u have the machine
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I don't believe quicksilver really wants to go that way.
First, he said that it was empty, therefore I'm assuming that the engine may have been rebuilt, otherwise he would have said that he had drained it instead.
Second, I would recommend buying the premixed coolant, so it's already at a 50/50 state and there's no need to add water. Costs a lttle bit more, but it takes the guess work out of it all.
Third, hot tap water is not distilled water and poses no significant advantagous because of temp. Bottled water may work, but what's necessary or should I say most beneficial is distilled/demineralized water. It's the minerals that pose a problem to cooling systems as when they are heated and cooled continously, deposits build up in areas within the engine and rad galleries. So much so that eventually these galleries constrict, reducing the amount of fluid allowed to pass therefore cooling capabilities are diminished and engine will be run at a hotter state and cooling fans will run more continously - all in all, a serious recipe for pooching your engine.
Don't scrimp, you've heard the addage - pay me now or pay me later, well ??
Anyway, hope this helps.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

it says to use 'soft water'
Low in minerals. Preferably not tap water. Distilled is best.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

use distilled water, dont use water from your sink, itll leave stuff inside your cooling system
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

HEY jschrauwen - stop typing while I am!!! :D
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

YOU TOO mitmaks :D
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Grants wrote:HEY jschrauwen - stop typing while I am!!! :D
dohhh

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”