V8 MX3 possible?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

V8 MX3 possible?

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I have heard of a V8 Mini Cooper, a V8 Civic SI and a V8 Ford Focus.
I know the engine bay on our cars wont offer enough room for a V8 but there are ways to make more room like cutting into some room in the interior where the dash is at.
Sure pretty much 95% percent of everything under the hood will have to go but I wouldnt mind spending $7k on dropping a V8 and having it ready to work on a Mx3

Of course, I am not talking about putting something big like a Chevi 350. A 4.6 DOHC engine would do.
You guys think its possible?

just curious...
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

With a full tube chassis anything is possible. How bout an all wheel drive 4 Rotor Turbo???
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

if your removing almost everything from under the hood anyway, your only limited to your imagination and budget. you could almost any engine in there. but ya that would be a really cool thing to see.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

My mechanic said when we were doing my swap that there's prolly enough room for a 350
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:My mechanic said when we were doing my swap that there's prolly enough room for a 350
A Mx3 with a Chevi 350 would be awesome.

Personally, I think it is possible through on a budget of $6.5k (US). Thats of course with everything used except the engine (4.6 DHOC). It shouldnt even be hard to find used parts espically since there are alot of Mustangs out there.

But, how will emissions go is my question...
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Id put 360 cu.in. mopar in there ....talk about fast
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

With enough money and fabrication- ANYTHING is possible.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I think the real issue would be converting the car to RWD. Off the top of my head I cant think of any FWD trans that would work well. Doesnt mean there arent any.. but I think the car would be way nose heavy if that was even possible. There is enough room for a small block V8.. RWD.. either a Chev 327 or a Mopar 340 would be sweet. Then you would just have to figure out how to keep all that torque planted on the ground ;) Could modify a ford 9 inch rear end.. cut the axles & tubes to fit without too much problem. But talk about squirrly.. dayum.. Reminds me of a kid I knew in high school that had a blown 302 stuffed in his pinto.. At the high school drags he pulled a 16.7.. but that was because his tires never stopped smoking all the way down the track.. was quite a sight to see.. good thing he brought spare tires along with him. I think the MX-3 would do about the same with a small block in it ;)

Tunes67
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

If you can fit a V8 in a focus, you can fit a V8 in an MX3. At the very least, you would definitely be able to stuff a 289 in.
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Word, V8s rock. They may be heavy but with just bolt-ons a 300hp/300ft torque V8 can reach 400hp easily. Hell, add a blower and your already there. A exhaust with a H Pipe or X Pipe will always sound mean.

Tomorrow I will try to do some measurements.
See if it really is possible to fit a 281 Cubic Inch 4.6 DHOC V8 in a MX3.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Tunes67 wrote:I think the real issue would be converting the car to RWD. Off the top of my head I cant think of any FWD trans that would work well. Doesnt mean there arent any.. but I think the car would be way nose heavy if that was even possible. There is enough room for a small block V8.. RWD.. either a Chev 327 or a Mopar 340 would be sweet. Then you would just have to figure out how to keep all that torque planted on the ground ;) Could modify a ford 9 inch rear end.. cut the axles & tubes to fit without too much problem. But talk about squirrly.. dayum.. Reminds me of a kid I knew in high school that had a blown 302 stuffed in his pinto.. At the high school drags he pulled a 16.7.. but that was because his tires never stopped smoking all the way down the track.. was quite a sight to see.. good thing he brought spare tires along with him. I think the MX-3 would do about the same with a small block in it ;)

Tunes67
And any person in a Mustang will s--- themselves seeing a V8 MX3 do that :D
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

Just remember that you'll really need to tube the whole car. The unibody just isn't designed for those stresses. Just factor in the cost to tear it down to bare metal to tube and cage it. If it's still within your limits your rockin. A buddy of mine has a Chevette with a 350 in it. A very nice car!!!
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

I was thinking about it, and a V8 would be fun, but wouldn't just be easier to use a miata drivetrain/engine and change the MX3 to RWD? It would be awesome just to have that or an AWD MX with the BPT in it :D
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Flashpoint2 wrote:I was thinking about it, and a V8 would be fun, but wouldn't just be easier to use a miata drivetrain/engine and change the MX3 to RWD? It would be awesome just to have that or an AWD MX with the BPT in it :D
A BPT is great but a V8 is much better in my opinion
Like I said, with just bolt-ons, 400hp shouldnt be a problem on a 4.6 DOHC V8.
Have you ever heard a V8 with a X pipe or H Pipe? They sound aswesome. You will never be able to make that kind of sound with a 4cyl or V6... NEVER.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I personally dont have the fabrication skills to do a project like this.. wish I knew Jesse James personally.. Heh.. someone should write into Monster Garage and see if he will do an episode where they bang out a V8 MX-3 LOL ;)

Tunes67

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”