High performance cooling fans?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Franko
Supporting Member

High performance cooling fans?

Post by Franko »

Has anyone changed their stock cooling fans to a higher performance fan that flows more cfm? I was thinking of getting some new fans to replace the old crappy ones. Anyone done it? And what brand fan is best?
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Don't know of any, but like your thinkin'. Any turbo or ZE mod is going to generate a hotter environment and I believe the original cooling system barely kept up to the task. Very interested in results of this thread. Good Q Franko.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

when i put the rad form a 93 auto, it did better than the one it came with. the needle does not even pass the very first line. when befor it will just stop at the half.
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

Be careful if you decide to upgrade your fan. Back in my 4 wheeler days, I had a buddy with an 85 Toyota Pickup... wanted to get rid of the stock fan (research showed that yanking away the belt driven fan for an electric replacement would boost the hp on the motor). Well yeah, it boosted the hp when the fan was off, but when you turned it on it killed the motor... I mean worse than a/c... made the engine idle so low it would almost stutter. We figure it was drawing so much power that the alternator had to try way to hard to keep the fan running and thats what caused the power drain. I don't know if it was his truck or if it was the stupid "summit brand" fan he bought, but if you do it definatly do a good company like flex-a-lite. Please post if you do it and tell how it works. I want to get one too but I'm afraid of what my alternator might think about it.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

I got the dual 12" slim line fans that PRO sells
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

lucky13 wrote:when i put the rad form a 93 auto, it did better than the one it came with. the needle does not even pass the very first line. when befor it will just stop at the half.
I like those results. Any reason for a 93' Auto and not another year? Is the "Auto" the caveot in all of this?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

The "auto" radiator may be a bit larger because it also has the internal tranny cooler (which apparently isnt sufficient by itself for these auto transmissions). But the overall size of the radiator may indeed be larger because of this. This would provide a larger area for heat distribution. Since I havent seen both types of radiators side by side.. I could of course be completely wrong :lol: :laugh:

Tunes67
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

I think the auto has 2 speeds.
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

1.8L V6..............................Amps

M/T.................................11.0-12.14
A/T
Low Speed.......................12.0-13.2
High Speed......................16.8-18.5
92 GS
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

For the 4 Banger guys...

1.6L..........................Amps

M/T..........................2.4-4.4
A/T..........................5.6-7.6
92 GS
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

i just put in a 180 deg thermostat, and iv never had a problem. at all times my car runs under half on the meter. and my fan comes on like mabe if im just idling like once every ten minutes or so, for like 15 to 30 secconds. but iv been thinking of adding in an oil cooler.

the fan on that yota was sut too much for it wrong fan for the application. i swaped out the clutch fan on my midget for an electric fan and it worked great. the fans on flyin miata look promising.
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

the only reason that i put the 93 is because it was the only one at the junkyard. the engine was in nice condition, so thats the only reason i took the rad. I did not even check to see if it was auto or manual. but when i got home i saw the difference. and yea it's a little larger. it fit just fine, did not have to do any extra things. a few days after i put the rad i went to the drags and i taped the IM with my hands and it was pretty cooled down. it only coast 85 for the rad.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Josh wrote:the fan on that yota was sut too much for it wrong fan for the application. i swaped out the clutch fan on my midget for an electric fan and it worked great. the fans on flyin miata look promising.
Say what? Could you give it another try?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

lucky13 wrote:the only reason that i put the 93 is because it was the only one at the junkyard. the engine was in nice condition, so thats the only reason i took the rad. I did not even check to see if it was auto or manual. but when i got home i saw the difference. and yea it's a little larger. it fit just fine, did not have to do any extra things. a few days after i put the rad i went to the drags and i taped the IM with my hands and it was pretty cooled down. it only coast 85 for the rad.

Luis; Did you use the fans that came with the 93' Auto rad or your old ones. BTW you didn't say if you have a GS or an RS since mazdubber has shown that there are differences in the capabilities of our fans based power consumption for ATX/MTX and GS/RS. This may explain your drop in temperature also?
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

I did use my old fans. gs, was the 1.8 v6 se mtx

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”