Suspension Q's

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Sam Baker

Suspension Q's

Post by Sam Baker »

so i've had intrax for a while.. and they've served their purpose nicely (good drop, somewhat comfy ride), but i've been gettin into "touge" (mountain racing) and really need stiffer suspension. any suggestions? i still wanna keep it low, but i need really stiff stuff. here's what i'm thinkin about:

-Ground Control Coilovers
-Whiteline Swaybar

i'm keepin the KYB struts, and adding the bigger swaybar in the rear. (do they make a front one?).. and also, does anybody know about floor bars and monkey bars? this one guy had some but i forgot where he got em from. anyways thanks :P
92 Autozam AZ3
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

the bigger sway would stiffen it up nice,
as for cornering you might want a stiffer spring,
dont know how the kybs will hold up with stiffer ratings though.
also strut bars are good
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

gc's will destroy those kyb's u have...get some kyb specials if you want a firm controlled ride w/gc's
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

kyb super struts? are they adjustable or just stronger?
92 Autozam AZ3
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

those kyb supers off of corksport the orange ones
they are 20% stronger then stock, so basically similar to the ZX2 strut.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

upgrading suspension is nice, but you'll really get more response from changing any worn bushings first. Then get GCs and some stiffer shocks, then upper strut bars then larger sway bars with urethane bushings. And for mountain runs I'd get a set of Hawk pads and some Brembo slotted rotors with stainless lines front and rear before doing any suspension at all. my .02
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

hehe thanks for the input.. yea i desperately need more stopping power, so the brakes are on my list too. i already have both upper strut bars, but im also curious if a rollbar would make a difference. i know they're good to have for safety reasons, but would they stiffen the chassis up as well? also, are there any other struts for our cars that are adjustable besides the mazdaspeeds? (i just dont have a grand to spend on struts alone)
92 Autozam AZ3
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

A roll bar is an awesome mod for safety as well as stiffening up the car. Just the basic six point should do the trick, and any welding or muffler shop might be able to help you out getting the custom fabrication done. You have to figure with that cage welded in six different spots, whenever your car tries to body flex through a corner, big 2 1/2 or 3 in piping all around is going to stop it before it can start.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

The koni specials must be able to be more than 20% stiffer than stock. They came with my 500"lb springs from ground control. Not sure what the stock spring rate is but I'm sure 500 is more than 20% more.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

freyguy_412 wrote:A roll bar is an awesome mod for safety as well as stiffening up the car. Just the basic six point should do the trick, and any welding or muffler shop might be able to help you out getting the custom fabrication done. You have to figure with that cage welded in six different spots, whenever your car tries to body flex through a corner, big 2 1/2 or 3 in piping all around is going to stop it before it can start.

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/m ... Code=AP021
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

wow!!! those prices are way better than on the autopower site.. now im seriously thinkin bout getting one :P
92 Autozam AZ3

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”