1993 mx3 1.6 Technical/Performance

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
G Koprivich

1993 mx3 1.6 Technical/Performance

Post by G Koprivich »

Just bought this car can you guys give me some advice should i change my engine to a dohc 1.8 or go biger .Iam new to this high Performance I hope buy joining this club,you guys can give me a education Thanks Greg Koprivich :D :?: 1993 mx3 1.6
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

Thats funny.... you used "MX3 1.6" and "high performance" in the same paragraph... :lol:

Jokes aside, the 1.8 BP or BPT are you best bets by far. Do a search on either term, you will get hours and hours of fun reading. There are plenty of good right-ups, lots of threads, plenty to get you going. Lots of people here have done BP swaps, any questions you have you will have no problem getting answers.

Also, hoping you are running a 5-speed? If not, start there. The automatic, if thats what you have, wont take much abuse before calling it quits. The 5-speed can handle a decent amount of abuse, but the automatic, noooo.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
johnboi85

Post by johnboi85 »

you should upgrade to the 1.8 bp. it only took me a day of work and 500 bucks to finish my swap. it's really easy. it's like spending 500 bucks for 37 more horses. if you have any questions about the swap, just give me a pm

-john
bp mx-3
G Koprivich

Engine Swap 1.6 sohc to a1.8 dohc.

Post by G Koprivich »

Thanks for all the advice,I just got my hands on 1993 GS mx3 V6 ,what kind of job is it on swap.right now Ihave a mx3 1.6 sohc .I can't beleve the guy gave me the complete car , Free Should i kept the automatic or use my 5 speed , How about changing the computer is that a big deal .Thanks for all the help ''''''''''''''''' :lol:
Last edited by G Koprivich on March 17th, 2005, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
92rsmx-3

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

no one said anything about you man calm down and reread what they said they offered help
95 Eagle Talon Tsi - New Toy
92 Mazda MX-3 RS - probably selling
86 Mazda Rx-7 - motor blew going 145
86 1/2 Toyota Supra - pissed me off sold it
91 Taurus... SHO - died
jaydog5678

Re: Just would like to thank the 2 members .

Post by jaydog5678 »

G Koprivich wrote:,.I hope things Change and I sure hope this is not a bunch of yuppies FEEDING THEIR OWE EGOS .
Most of use are not yuppies, because if we were, consider us driving more expensive cars. Just about every one on this board is great and has a good bit of knowlegde on the subject.

For starters, the 1.8 is a good engine swap/ upgrade for any 1.6 SOHC owner.
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

That outburst confused me... Did he say we liked to eat eggos? I like eggos..

Anyway, I get a kick out of how many posts get started on mx-3.com similar to this. Bought the car and allready thinking of putting another engine in it. The mx-3 instantly infects you as soon as you buy one. Its great it really is...
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
rukick

Post by rukick »

I like putting two eggos together with whipped cream in the middle, like a little sandwich. If that is wrong then I don't want to be right.
Turbo 94 Protege LX
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

Anyone else here wondering what the hell happened to this thread? Someone asked a legitimate question, I made an attempt at a joke, then gave what I thought was usefull advice, someone else gave some usefull advice, he got mad (why, I have no idea) now we are talking about leggo-ing my eggo.

(And for cryin out loud, no wonder he is already frustrated. No one, and I mean NO one, puts whipped cream on a waffle. Syrup.... SYRUP is what God wants people to put on waffles. Quit giving the guy bad advice. :cry: )
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

belgian waffles are excellent with whipped cream and blackberries (mmmm decadence)

but back on topic, yeah, drop in the 1.8L DOHC... it's easy to find, and a very simple swap (although to be honest I'm still ironing out kinks.... still waiting for some parts arrrggg :P)
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

BPT!! :lol:
Last edited by Franko on March 17th, 2005, 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
johnboi85

Post by johnboi85 »

1.8 Dohc is the only way to go when you have a 1.6 sohc. so much more power and gives a more fun to drive feel. it's easy, cheap and did i mention cheap? no problems whatsoever putting it in.

jon
bp mx-3
rukick

Post by rukick »

Sorry, I can't resist being a smart a$$ when I get the opportunity. If this guy is even still looking at this thread there are a few things you can do to your engine without a swap to make it really fun to drive:
Turbo kit @ racing mazda
Zex NO2 kit @ Zex
PRM Cold Air Intake @ Cork Sport
exhaust header @ Cork Sport
Cat Back exhaust @ Cork Sport
ETC....

Fun to drive is one thing but if you want any kind of respectable horse power #'s you will have to swap in a turbo 1.8 DOHC. Then the sky's the limit as long as you have the $$.
Turbo 94 Protege LX
neutral
Supporting Member

Re: 1993 mx3 1.6 Technical/Performance

Post by neutral »

G Koprivich wrote:Just bought this car can you guys give me some advice should i change my engine to a dohc 1.8 or go bigger .I am new to this high Performance I hope buy joining this club,you guys can give me a education Thanks Greg Koprivich :D :?: 1993 mx3 1.6
1.8DOHC is the biggest swap practical. Larger displacement engines like the 2.0 4cyl are too different to swap...
Image -Jim

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”