Intake manifold swap

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
freyguy_412

Intake manifold swap

Post by freyguy_412 »

Hey, guys. Can't find much help on the search for this. I got a 95 rs with the stock dohc and want to know what intake manifolds bolt on. im thinkin the protege might be good cause I want to get a bigger throttle body as well (start bigger to bore bigger). will that manifold directly bolt on? I'm unsure about the miata cause the intake points toward the belt side of the motor. any help would be awesome.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

The longer 1.8 Bp manifolds will not bolt up. The Miata might, but your right about the intake pointing the wrong direction so a no go their.

You can send your throttle body off to Guide performance or any qualified machinest for that matter to enlarge it. I'd say 2 to 3mm depending on the mods done to the rest of the engine.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

from what ive been reading is that the miata manifold will bolt up to the dohc head but then the issue arrises of the belt side if the engine along with the clearence problems .
Though i have seen people use it on there b6t's in the festys, they have to shorten it like an inch or so, i am looking into this for my b6t because i hate hood scoops. :x
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

orrrrrr you could swap in a BP :P

much easier mod to do, if you want a little more performance, is to grab a BP's throttle body... it's already 60mm instead of the stock's 55mm, and then you can overbore that, if you really felt like it.... not worth it though imho.

just swap a BP already. :P
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

the bp is a good swap, ill give it that. but my issue is that at least for now this is my only car. i cant do a motor swap and have it non driveable for so long. my other issue is dealing with vac lines crossed and wiring issues, so my plan is to use the block i have and pretty much convert it to the b6t (turbo manifold, and the stock 7.8-1 compression pistons) with other goodies from the miata.

according to the 4-cyl faq the throttle body from the 94-95 that i have will not interchange. if this is a lie, please tell!!! lol. i would love to bolt on a larger throttle body from the junkyard (probably bore it out a little first but i want to start with something bigger) I appreciate all your help guys!
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

well.... the Miata TB might not, but I KNOW the 90-94 Protege LX's TBs interchange by personal experience. Same outlets and everything.
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

Is the protege lx the one with the BP-DE in it? I have been lookin at the tb information on the 4-cyl faq and if so it would be awesome to get the 60mm tb and have that one bored out a little more. thanks for everyones help so far!
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

yeah the LX has the BP-DE. It should work fine, although seriously, don't expect any real performance improvement. I got a little boost, but not much. Seriously..... it's an 88 horsepower engine :P
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

I thought the 94-95 were rated at 105hp.... oh well its only slow for now. just need the money to get my turbo project complete.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

he has a DOHC guys, 105 HP not a SOHC with 88
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”