Swap

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
bigrich12

Swap

Post by bigrich12 »

i am considering to do the bpt swap and i was wondering how much it is going to cost????
1994 Mx3 custom system with 2 JBL 10's, alpine head unit, and memphis highs.
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

a lot

do a bp swap and turbo that later.
jaydog5678

Re: Swap

Post by jaydog5678 »

bigrich12 wrote:i am considering to do the bpt swap and i was wondering how much it is going to cost????
You've got to pay to play...

My estimated cost was around $4500-$5000, probably more and I did 85% of the work. That's including the 1st Bp-t engine I spent mega bucks on. I'm on my second now.
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

I BET you're on your second now, with 250 hp and 257 ft/lbs to the wheels :P

What happened to the last one... did it blow? That'd suck. You really should look into one of those Flyin Miata strokers at this point.... yeah they're really expensive, but damn it'd be awesome.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

matt_fulghum wrote:I BET you're on your second now, with 250 hp and 257 ft/lbs to the wheels :P

What happened to the last one... did it blow? That'd suck. You really should look into one of those Flyin Miata strokers at this point.... yeah they're really expensive, but damn it'd be awesome.
I never dynoed the 1st engine, just bent 3 rods soon after it was running. How did it happen? A 25 lb boost spike at 3000rpm happened. The wastegate vaccum line was plumbed in wrong so it never controlled boost right. I fixed the problem immediately afterwards, but the damage was done. Bent rods broke off an oil squirter inside the block which spun all the rod bearings and started to damage the crank and main bearings.

The power it's making now is tunned and the wastegate still has trouble controlling boost. The wastegate is set at 11 lbs but it climes up to 15 due to almost no backpressure and to an extent, the wastegate design and downpipe.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

I am doing the Bp swap then doing a turbo convertion. SOo far I have probably spent around $1800 and need around $800 more to finsh. That $800 includes, $400=Exhaust, $150=Flywheel resurfaced, waterpump, and one pass. side axle, $200 Dyno time, $50 Random stuff. So, I am doing all the work myself except for the exhaust and maybe I might pay for a good IC piping setup. If you look around you can find deals. I found an emanage and support tool for $235 which I just traded for a SAFC II and $50. So I pretty much got an SAFC II for $185. Thats $100 cheaper then ebay. So look around. Deals come around.

Clayton

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”