Gutless GS !!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX-SLICK

Gutless GS !!

Post by MX-SLICK »

My 94 GS v6 is gutless. I would have thaught that a 1.8 V6 would have some get up and go...but it lacks serious power when going up hills. I have the ATX.

To be honest, my geo storm could smoke my mx-3 :shock: owell, any ideas?

Also, it has 160,000 km on it...my car burns a bit of oil. When it sits all night and i fire it up in the morning, it smokes a bit, but then turns to steam...it does not smoke while i am driving or everytime i start it...only when it sits all night. Should i worry? is it common? Im guessing it is just valve guide seals.

thanks.
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

well theres your problem, auto tranny, they just plain suck in most cars not just gs. swap to manual and ull feel difference
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

i never had lack of power problems going up hills or anything with my auto GS........ if your motor burns oil it is obviously not in great shape
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

pull the codes..its the knock sensor..,your ecu is in test mode?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
insanerino

Post by insanerino »

Head Gasket dude!! I have a 93 GS and I have the same problem. The only difference is that mine has the 5 speed manual tranny in it. But if you feel a large lack of power, especially uphil, and you burn oil with a start after it's been sitting, it's 10:1 your head gasket. You're better off replacing the engine, cause the head gasket repair in labor alone for that DOHC V6 front wheel drive engine is about $1000. Drop a few more bucks into it and get a KLZE.

-Randy
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

The motor runs 100%, the smoke is ever so faint...only if the car has been sitting for 10 or more hours, it smokes blue a wee bit, but quickly turns over to regular 'white' condensation smoke, then after 5 mins that dissapears. NO, its not a head gasket...it would be using antifreeze if that was the case. It is just simply gutless. If i push the gas and get it to downshift is has plenty of power, i just dont feel it should be nessecary to hit a lower gear on a gradual incline...but if i dont the car just struggles to maintain 80 km/h.....My geo storm would EAT my GS...so just for the record, all you stock GS owners, if you see a geo storm, dont race it...it will win :D
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

i raced one today and I left it in the dust big time...of course...and this with my clutch sliupping..this car is super fast when not in limp mode..specially when the vris opens op. You get a power surge at 5 k rpms in manual...brooooooom. sometimes mits after 4k.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

well it could have been a base storm with 95 horsepower, the GSI has 140 horsepower.

BTW, i hear alot about this 'knock sensor' and ecu in test mode, what does it mean?
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

most likely
-hec

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

oh ..well when your car is in limp mode (test mode) i notives the vris wont open up right, the car doesnt wanna go over 90...its slower than usual 0-60 is like 12 - 13 seconds..when it is working correctly 0-60 8 secs :D o.0 still it sucks...its just the ecu being in safe mode so that you dont destroy the engine, check codes I assure you this will help..also automatic is way way slower than a manual but still check codes.
-hec

kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

The motor runs 100%, the smoke is ever so faint...only if the car has been sitting for 10 or more hours, it smokes blue a wee bit, but quickly turns over to regular 'white' condensation smoke, then after 5 mins that dissapears.
Umm Dude, Not great but as you will read on this forum, the ECU's
in these things are very tempermatal......One should do a write up on
seriouly tunning the V6 with the stock ECU.

Me im looking to run a Link or a Autotronic stand alone unit way less
hassle...
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

MX-SLICK wrote:My geo storm would EAT my GS...so just for the record, all you stock GS owners, if you see a geo storm, dont race it...it will win :D
maybe so, but does the mx-3 induse vomit when you look at it? i think not, so that's more than can be said of the storm... in fact, i'd say quite the opposite would be true for the mx---a warm, fuzzy, safe feeling comes over upon first sight

:throwup: blue head = me, yellow head = Geo Storm
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

LOL.....geo storm is just a re-named isuzu impulse.... with a lotus suspension packadge :D

Impulse

Some ricey storm

94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”