revs limited to 2,800 rpm in 1993 MX-3 (4 cyl)

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Civic driven01

revs limited to 2,800 rpm in 1993 MX-3 (4 cyl)

Post by Civic driven01 »

I dont know if anyone here can help, but a friend of mine has an old 1993 MX3 with the 1.6L 5spd. It runs fine except it stumbles when the rpms reach around 2,800 rpms regardless of what gear its in or even if its neautral. Its like theres a rev limiter there but not really. Its like its losing fuel or ignition at that partucluar point in the rpm range. Brandnew cap rotor, plug wires, ecu, map sensor, and distributor have been replaced already. I believe the distributor was replaced with a used one though. no sign of any check engine light. As soon as it stumbles at 2,800 the engine quickly regains and remains running. This problem occurred out of the blue since it has occurred it has been 100% consistent. It seems like an ignition problem of some kind to me, but I'm not a certified mechanic who works on mazdas everyday. Its a beater but its his only mode of transportation and hes a good guy, that I'm trying to help out. thanks in advance.
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

weird..... there's something in the intake manifold called VRIS where it alters the runner length to let in more air, which starts to open around there, I believe, but I doubt that'd be the problem.

Maybe it's a bad oxygen sensor or air flow meter? Is this problem there when he floors it? That'd be a helpful test.
Civic driven01

Post by Civic driven01 »

I just spoke with my friend and its actually 3k rpms where it experiences fuel or ignition cut. I personally think that hes not getting spark once he reaches that rpm level for one reason or another. He experiences this problem regardless of throttle position as well.
johnboi85

Post by johnboi85 »

it's not called vris. he said it's a 1.6. if it's a sohc, he's got nothing. if he has a dohc, he's got vics. it opens at 5K rpm so it's not relevant in this case.
bp mx-3
Civic driven01

Post by Civic driven01 »

its a sohc
snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

hmmm, I have a crazy idea

get it to this weird 'limiter' in 5th.. then chuck it into 3rd, and see what happens ?!

maybe its the ECU being silly at this one RPM, and might be fine once you blast past it with a different gear

if the engine is like totally dead after that RPM and the speed just drops back til your at 3000rpm in 3rd now... no damage done I wouldn't have thought as you wont have gone much over 4.5/5k or something.. engine can definately handle it (unless its limiting you to 3k for some specific reason that I dunno about!)

maybe??!! just an idea.....
Civic driven01

Post by Civic driven01 »

Theres gotta be someone in here who has experienced this problem before.
jimishadow

Post by jimishadow »

hows your fuel filter?is your exhaust free flowing,is the cat clogged?
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Id try testing your coil.. Could be the problem.. Also, hows your firing order? I know the car shouldent even run but it has happened in the past.. if you have 2 wires messed up the car will run but might have weird problems.. hence the 2500 rpm limiter
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

Sounds like an airflow sensor problem.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Ahh! Never thought of that.. Thats definately possible..
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

I have basically the same prob in my BP and I cant figure it out. For me, its not the air flow sensor because I have had about 3 in there and its high un likely that they are all bad. If you find an answer let us all know.

P.S. Franko you trying to steel my avatar? :D
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

airflow also includes the TPS sensor..........
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

Replaced that too.(not jacking your thread man sorry.)
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
Civic driven01

Post by Civic driven01 »

mx3TT wrote:Replaced that too.(not jacking your thread man sorry.)
Dont apologize, I was actually wondering about that. I appreciate everyones input. I havent had a chance to even look at the car in a while, but rest assured the details I've given you thus far are pretty accurate I know because I've driven the car once before myself. I'll have him bring it by soon so I can maybe study it again. I might learn a few more things along the way.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”