klde and klze

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
purewhitemp5

klde and klze

Post by purewhitemp5 »

Since most folks can find a klde cheaper than a klze is there any way to get the parts to turn a klde into a klze. What are the differences between the klde and klze. Both are 2.5L. klde 160hp, klze 190hp. Are the heads , block, intake manifold the same. Maybe swapping cams, pistons and computer will get a klde to put out klze numbers. Any input would be helpful.
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

Buying all of the parts to make a DE into a ZE would end up making it more expensive than just buying a ZE in the first place, but here are the basic differences:

Intake manifold (larger runners and different VRIS setup - about $1,000 U.S. for a new one from Corksport)
Heads (different porting to match with manifold)
Cams (more aggressive profile - about $700 U.S.)
Pistons (higher compression - about $300 U.S.)
ECU
VAF

According to Interprep's dyno tests:

ZE intake manifold gains about 10 hp and loses 2 lb.ft. of torque.
ZE cams alone gain about 9 hp and gain 2 lb.ft. of torque
ZE cams and manifold together gain about 15 hp and lose 2 lb.ft. of torque

You could expect a bump in compression of nearly a full point from the pistons to give you maybe 5-10 hp and a comparable amount of torque as well - the remaining 5-10 hp would be from the ECU tuning.

If you are the type of person who would tear down and rebuild the ZE before putting it in anyway, then if you rebuild a DE with ZE parts, the best bang for the buck would be to get just the cams and pistons. They'll get you from 10-20 hp, and you'll have 5-10 lb.ft. more torque than a ZE. That will still run you $1,000 U.S. for parts on top of the DE motor itself though...
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

tatsu wrote:Buying all of the parts to make a DE into a ZE would end up making it more expensive than just buying a ZE in the first place, but here are the basic differences:

Intake manifold (larger runners and different VRIS setup - about $1,000 U.S. for a new one from Corksport)
Heads (different porting to match with manifold)
Cams (more aggressive profile - about $700 U.S.)
Pistons (higher compression - about $300 U.S.)
Where the hell you buying your parts? Tiffany's? :roll: Try - used KLZE pistons $60+shipping. Used heads - $250. Used cams - $225. Used intake manifold - $200.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

lakersfan1 wrote:Where the hell you buying your parts? Tiffany's?
LMAO
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

Those prices are for NEW components from Corksport, not used...jackass! :lol:

Seriously, though, if I were rebuilding, I would not be rebuilding with used components - I'd be rebuilding to replace used components in the first place...

In response to babyblue's post below, if you read my earlier post, I would not get the intake manifold - just the cams and pistons. I agree, a new intake manifold rather than used would be pointless - it's not really subjected to any kind of wear, unlike the pistons and cams.
Last edited by tatsu on February 22nd, 2005, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

you'll learn that corksport sells twice the price as other places.
who would need a NEW intake manifold :shrug:
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”