is this the real deal?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
MarkMoore

is this the real deal?

Post by MarkMoore »

help me out here, cuz i know just about as little about lighting as possible, so tell me if something like this is worth the money:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33710
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

I cant see that working. It seems to be a clear bulb with just a blue cover that goes over it.. the wattage seems pretty damn high too. Even a proper HID conversion kit would probably not give you what you are looking for in the mx-3 stock headlight housing since it is a reflector housing and we have the most craptacular lenses around. You are probably better off just buying some halogen bulbs like the Sylvania Silverstars or PIAA bulbs. The link seems to be a waste of money to me but well see what everyone else has to say....
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

yeah, that looks like b/s to me. Try some silverstars, I love mine. I'll even post some night pics if ya like
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

BS is right. They're re-wiring the halogen bulbs so that you will drive both high and low beam filaments at the same time directly from the battery through their new relay. Great way to overheat the bulb and reflector area and possibly melt the plastic or even start a fire. At the minimum, bulb life will be extremely short IMO. If it looks to good to be true...than it is.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

thanks for all the input guys

i'm sorry, what is piaa?
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

Just a brand name. A more expensive brand name lol. Check out Eurolite, Raybrig Bulbs, PIAA, Sylvania whatever ones you like!
Taras

Post by Taras »

Gotta Love eBay...... :throwup:
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

looks like a gimmick to me. the fact you have blue-tinted glass is stupid too. You are only lowering the brightness by tinting the glass so you "look kewl y0".

Go with OSRAM silverstars....they are the german-spec silverstars and are better than the syvania ones we get here.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Taras

Post by Taras »

OSRAM Silverstars are not available in 9004, only SYLVANIA one are.... :dunno:
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

Silverstars are okay. But gimme a set of PIAA's anyday! They may be expensive but they're the brightest things you'll find in 9004's.
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

sylverstarts are like 50 bucks, eurolites are like 20 bucks canadian. Eurolites are 55 watts but more blue than sylverstarts...sylverstars are 55 watts white. I picked up a set of cheap APC's that are a few different colours.
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I have a pair of eurolite xenon's there ok, but one of them burnt out and I have only had for about 3-4 months, but they look really blue and there fairly cheap, so its a trade off between xenons and silverstars cause silversatrs give out alot of light.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

i dont know what i did wrong BUIT haha ...um i bought one of those "ebay" bulbs and it melted the inner part of my housing....this was a while back. on a maxima.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

jschrauwen wrote:BS is right. They're re-wiring the halogen bulbs so that you will drive both high and low beam filaments at the same time directly from the battery through their new relay. Great way to overheat the bulb and reflector area and possibly melt the plastic or even start a fire. At the minimum, bulb life will be extremely short IMO. If it looks to good to be true...than it is.
Told you so.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”