BP Swap: pulling tranny w/ engine out

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
matt_fulghum

BP Swap: pulling tranny w/ engine out

Post by matt_fulghum »

now that I've finally got my engine out of my car (emphasis on FINALLY) I need to see how to go about pulling the transmission out (yes I know I should've pulled the tranny and engine as a unit.... blah blah blah)

anyway, I need to know:
1. what I need to remove from it (I know about the clutch release cylinder and speedo gear, need help with the axles and everything else)
2. what's the best way to pull the tranny? drop it down with a jack? hoist it with chains?
3. I'm installing a stainless steel clutch line... what's involved with removing and bleeding the iold line, installing the new one, and setting that all up?
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

i'd take the tranny out the top..should be really easy with all the room. you also need to disconnect the reverse light switch from the tranny.

to remove the axles:
take off front tires
remove the big lock nut from the center of the hub
remove sway bar links
remove lower ball joint bolt
pry lower balljoint from the hub

by this point the shock/hub should be hanging there by the shock tower, it should be relatively easy to move the assembly back and forth.

pull the assembly outward while applying pressure on the driveshaft. you can also tap it lightly with a hammer...don't mess up the threads though. remove the end of the driveshaft from the hub. now you should just have the one side of the shaft in the transmission. you have to pry that one out

it sounds kinda hard but it isn't too bad. good luck.

oh yea and about the clutch line... separate the stock clutch line from the metal ones...all you need is a small wrench. there are also 2 clips that have to come off, pull them off with a plyer or pry them off with a flat screwdriver. to install the new one just reverse my directions above. then you have to bleed it...it's just like bleeding brakes. this is the way i do it: buy a clear plastic hose that will fit on the bleed valve(any local auto parts store), with valve closed have someone pump the clutch 3 times and hold it down on the last one...open the valve, then shut it again(you should hear a little bit of air being released)...with the valve shut have your friend pump 3 more times and hold on the last...keep pumping and opening/shutting the valve like that and it will eventually get all the air out...

MAKE SURE THAT YOUR BRAKE FLUID RESEVOIR DOES NOT GET LOW WHEN YOU ARE DOING THIS...IF IT DOES YOU WILL HAVE TO START ALL OVER AGAIN BECAUSE AIR WILL BE ALLOWED INTO THE SYSTEM.

the reason for the clear plastic tube is that you don't spray brake fluid everywhere and you can tell when the system is free of air when you can't see bubbles coming out.

hope that helps.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

helps a little, thanks... I'll have to do that stuff when I get back from visiting colleges today and tomorrow.

One thing that I'm interested in is that the shop manual doesn't say anything about removing the axle nuts at all... it seems that when the assembly drops down, it takes tension off the axles and that allows you to pull the axles free of the tranny. Well, I'll try taking off the axle nuts anyway.... they're really stuck on there

My dad and I broke a breaker bar trying to pry the driver side nut off. Now we bought a giant, meaty bar and about 5 feet of tube for a cheater bar... that should do it :)

Some guy said the nuts have something like 200 foot pounds of torque on em.... damn that's a lot. Unfortunately I don't have access to a pneumatic ratchet.
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

yeah you really have to use alot of force to get those nuts off but once you do....just pull the nut off take a ball peen hammer and a small sledge......first tap the axle with the ball peen till its almost out, it will be flush with the hub then turn the ball peen over so that the round end is against the end of the hub then hit the other side with the small sledge till the axle drops out.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

I am pretty sure that the Axle nut is actually screwed ON TO the end of te axle.

So, unless you unscrew it, it should not come off.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

yeah, what I meant was that you just pull the tranny side of the axle out, not remove the entire axle. That's what the shop manual says to do at least. Just wondering what you guys would recommend (it seems you think I should remove them)
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

alright, I just bought a big a-- air compressor, and a 600 ft/lbs impact wrench.... if that doesn't get those @#$!ers off, nothing will :P
Ateana

Post by Ateana »

lol i just bought an electric impact wrench. dewalt... it did it after i broke like 6 big a-- breaker bars. thank heavens for the guaruntee lol.
Management is not responsible for lost or stolen virginities.

White 94 Mx-3 BP
Black 93 Mx-3 Kl-De
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

yeah, those axle nuts are real bastards.... I'm gonna blast em with the wrench after my parents get back from church.... in the mean time I need to unhook the speedo gear, clutch slave cylinder, and the shifter rod + stabalizer.

I'll be SOOOO happy when the tranny is out...... it's the only thing holding me back from my swap :P
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

hell yeah! 600 ft/lbs impact wrench baby! those $!@#ing nuts came right off after about 45 seconds of whacking each... god I love that impact wrench. Best damn money we've ever spent! :P

W00t! next stage of my swap here I come!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”