New MX3 GS owner...got some questions

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

Hey,im a lucky owner of a 1994 mx3 GS....

First and foremost, I have the automatic, and i have heard mixed opinions on it. Some people tell me they are junk and its going to fail, others tell me they are great when maintained. My car has 170,000 km on it and it was not abused. Is the tranny a time bomb or am i good?

What size are the the speakers? I know 6.5's will fit but what fits in there without any extra drilling or tinkering. front and back.

Problems to look out for, things to maintain?

Thanks in advance
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

ya some have good luck with the auto mx's others have terrible luck. i personally have had great luck with my auto tranny. 186,000km's and the tranny is holding up perfectly, and was abused greatly by the previous owner.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Split Sixer

Post by Split Sixer »

undercoat your car! will save u alot of time and stress later on
Splixer
Invisible

Post by Invisible »

6.5's fit all around, no extra tinkering or drilling. Just need the adapter plates depending on what you buy. My Alpine's fit perfectly in the front 2 doors and well, I had some problems with the rear(the adapter plate didn't work with the rear, so I had to customize 8) ) All depends what you buy and what kind of plate they come with, if any.
Invisible
93 GS Tropical Emerald Metallic MTX 1.8L
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

Invisible wrote:6.5's fit all around, no extra tinkering or drilling. Just need the adapter plates depending on what you buy. My Alpine's fit perfectly in the front 2 doors and well, I had some problems with the rear(the adapter plate didn't work with the rear, so I had to customize 8) ) All depends what you buy and what kind of plate they come with, if any.
tru, i bought pioneer's 6.5's, and they fit, but i had to drill holes up front and had to customize in the rear (mine didn't come w/ any kind of adapter plates and the stock speakers have 3 holes for screws, my pioneers needed 4)... i also have an auto tranny, and will be hooking up a transmission cooler soon (i'm in no hurry since my mx-3 is out of commission anyways)... gettin a tranny cooler, as many on this board will tell you, is a MUST... many people report having their tranny's go bye-bye's at 100,000 miles... just a thought for you...
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

for the front I pulled the stock paper rings the speakers screw into (which were falling apart anyways) and then used to 2 lower screws to put in my pioneer 6.5s to the metal. if I really felt like it I would drill holes in the door for them...but I don''t...yet.
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

I just dont understand what is supposed to fit. In my old car pioneer 6.5's fit perfectly all holes lined up. Would 5 1/4 be less tinkering around when istalling them? I dont really want to do more than I have to :D

The tranny in my car seems OK, does act differently then my old car but it seems to shift smoothly (exept when you let off the gas, take a corner, and step on it again...you get a sort of "clunk" in the car when it re-engages) Is a transmision cooler essential? how much would the cheapest one go for? installed?
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

The top pan gaskets a very prone to failure. The front one is no problem to replace, but the rear one takes a bit of work cause u have to remove the intake manifold. And a lot of these v6's tend to start burning oil as they get older.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”