Idles at 3000RPM's????!!!!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
MarkMoore

Idles at 3000RPM's????!!!!

Post by MarkMoore »

ok, first off, the car i'm talking about is not my mx-3, but instead a Nissan Pulsar. The reason i posted this in this website is because mx-3.com seems to be a fairly reliable source for good advice (that, and plus the fact that this is my favorite place to be when i'm on the computer so i'm here all the time anyway).

So, like my title says... my car idles at 3000RPM's!! And the weird thing is, i drive it everyday for over an hour's time straight, and the idle never seems to go down even after driving it for an hour+!! Also, it seems that my heater performs very poorly. It takes about 25-30 minutes just for it to put out warm air in the cabin, and even at that, it only puts out warm air when i'm actually moving---once i come to a stop sign/light, the heater almost always goes cold again until i start moving for a little while.

Let me give a little bit of history about my car.

1) I've owned the car since July, so i've never owned it in cold weather before.

2) I stupidly let my friend "learn" how to drive a 5 speed on my car, and he kept on REDLINING my poor car!!! After that experience, i had a sever oil leak! so i gave it to my mechanic friend who told me and eventually fixed the timing cover, as it had a whole worn through caused by the tensioner guide breakin. The broken tensionners allowed the timing chain to whack up against the wall of the timing cover(creating a whole).

3) Anyway, my mechanic friend had my car from October-January, and i just got my car back last week (he tried to not charge me for labor since it took so long, but i felt bad so i paid him labor anyway)!!! And by the way, this guy knows what he's doing too, as he's been a Ford mechanic for over 30 years. Also, this guy is impossible to get ahold of, so i dont feel like waiting another 4 months just to get an answer to my problem!!!

Here are some things that crossed my mind about what the problem could be

1) The high idles could have NOTHING to w/ my recent timing cover repair and could have something to do w/ my thermostat being stuck open (or maybe the previous owner took the thermostat out all together to prevent overheating in the summer, i don't know)

2) Maybe my coolant is low???????????

3) Maybe when the mechanic put my car back together he messed up w/ something or tightened the throttle too much????

i know i wrote a lot, but PLEASE HELP ME! it would be greatly appreciated!
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
plusinfinit

Post by plusinfinit »

Don't know much about your nissan, i have a maxima but that doesn't matter now. IF you suspect the mechanic than ask him what he did to the car? Maybe you can back trace, step by step.
About the throttle cabel... i think its fine but if you wana check than disconect it from the throttle linkage and start the car.
I hIgly sugest to backflush you cooling sistem (i know its winter outside)it gona suck.
Check to see if your thermostat is good, if you ar not sure, just buy a new one.
Make sure that all belts are tightened properly, all sensors are connected and all vacuum lies are ok
In the end try adjustiong the idle conform specifications.
About yopur heater problem... uh either bad thermostat or clogged heater core. Of course you might have a bad vent door in the heating duct but thats not so important right now.
Hope i gave you some ideas for the beginig, good luck
StPapp
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

have you tried adjusting the idle via the throttle body (should be a screw somewhere: clockwise lowers, counter raises)? i would definately check the coolant level, and as was mentioned before try flushing the system. another thing you might try: is there anyway that your mechanic bypassed the coolant going to the throttle body or something? i know i had mine bypassed thinking cooler intake charge=more power but when it got cold the idle was like 500-700 higher than normal, so i put it back. Maybe its a combination of things?
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
illicitQ

Post by illicitQ »

i suggest having the IAC (idle air control) valve check before tampering with the idle screw.
92 RS: BPT, evo front mount, custom 2.5 in IC pipes, apex-i SAFC- II, GReddy type-RS BOV, rear disc swap, GTX front strutbar, oem GS lower rear tie bar, Topspeed1 axle back exhaust, 15" TSW wrapped in yokohamas, power window swap. NOT INSTALLED: GReddy turbo timer and CS downpipe.
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

hey thanks guys, hopefully i'll see the guy at church tomorrow and quick ask him... but i have a feeling i might miss him... then after that, i'll try to solve this by starting w/ some of these suggestions and see if i can resolve the problem--as this is wasting MAJOR gas $$$.

Thanks
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

1. Get a new thermostat installed. They are only a couple of bucks. I would also check the tubes under the dash that go from the blower to the heater core. Mine did that and the tube was half disconnected, so I got hot and cold blowing at me

2. Check the throttle cable. Might be adjusted too tight and the holding the high revs. After that adjust your idle. (I'm sure some one knows how it works on a nissan)

and good luck!!!! :P
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

i'm not exactly sure if you have to drain the coolant when changing the timing cover, but my problem was that there was practically no antifreeze in my car... as soon as we filled it up w/ antifreeze my heater worked like a dream and the high idle went away... if you do need to drain the coolant when changing the timing cover i guess it must have been that my mechanic friend forgot to fill it up before he gave back my car... well in any case, i'm happy now

thanks to all for all the help and suggestions about this little problem

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”