bad turbo?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
goldsberry1

bad turbo?

Post by goldsberry1 »

i think my turbo is messed up. i have oil in the intake and the exhaust of the turbo. i dorve it yesterday and it was fast, but it smoked alot. i mean alot like it was on fire. but it didnt really start until i pushed into boost. should i rebuild it? i mean its a new turbo, well the center section, cold side, and turbine wheel are all new. i have some parts left from when i bought the coldside. i might tear it apart and see how it looks inside. i've only hit boost in this car like 3 times. oh well things happen i guess.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

Sounds like a bad turbo. I would pull it and make sure that it is faulty, then consult where ever you purchased it.

Stevo
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

how did you hook up your pcv system?
what is the size of your feed and return oil line ?
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

i cant remember the exact size of the feed, but its kinda small and the return is 5/8". i know they are right size though. i did away with the pcv. i also connected the vents from the front and rear vc. i also might add something to pull a vacum on them again too. i might redo it so i have it again though. still not sure. i plan to pull the turbo today and look inside and see how things are.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

sounds to me like to high of an oil pressure for the turbo.
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
What

Post by What »

Some turbos have a restrictor in the center section, if yours does not have one... you absolutely need one in line.

Perhaps something with the angle of the turbo

don't know if the turbo was rebuilt properly or other details that you would...
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

well, i rebuilt the turbo today. i had all the parts for when i bought some other turbo related things. i think that it was from the engine haveing to high of pressure inside. i'm hooking the pcv system back upi put a one way valve inline with it. i might run a lie to the turbo inlet so theres always some kind of vacum on the system. do you think that could have caused it?
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

mmm where are you getting your oil from ? the block bolt or you T'd in the sending unit ?
the pcv system have to stay there but you have to mod it. I had pics of it somwhere ..lemme try to find it and I'll post them..

btw there is a good thread about that in the force induction forum in probatlk.com..go take a look
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

well i t'd off the sending unit.tonight i dorve about 100 miles on it. it did good, stayed about 1 mark off stoich on the rich side all the way until i was on my way home then it dropped all the way rich until i started going through all the stop lights. then i leaned out to where it was before. there isnt any oil leaking from the turbo that i could see. in the inlet side. i'll look more tommorrow.
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

well after more driveing the oil is back. but now only from the hot side. it has to be the turbo i didnt really get it into turbo much today just about 3 psi. this friday i have to do at least a 400 mile trip and another 400 on saterday. i would like to have this figured out before then.
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

oil pressure, Not sure on yor turbo but some garrett turbos run on low oil pressure. When your pushing your motor pressure go's up and the oil blows past the seals into the cold and hot side of the turbo
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

well that might be it. i do have a high volume oil pump. i will go look for a restricter today. good idea. we'll have to see if it works
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

well, i got the restricter today. its about half the size inside as the feed line is and now it smokes more than before. i did about 14 miles so all the oil that was in the turbo should have burnt off. but by the time i got home it was worse than when i started. i'm so tired of messing with it. now i cant drive it home this weekend. which is going to mess up everything. i cant get a new turbo or even a rebuild kit in time. so i'm screwed now. so mad!!
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

Then take the turbo kit out.

I had no restrictor in my oil feed line. Just ran a -4 AN line. Drove for 10k miles this way.

Where did you get that turbo? I would go raise hell.
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

well, i am going to try one more time at this. i am getting a resctrcor that is .055 i think the one i had was still too big. if it still leaks i am going to have to do what i was thinking. take the turbo off except the exhaust housing and just cover where the turbo goes in. i did that doay and there wasnt any smoke. well one more try let you all know tommorrow afternoon.

Return to “Forced Induction”