Needed Help on Turbo BP Setup

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
BuGS

Needed Help on Turbo BP Setup

Post by BuGS »

Ok I have tried other places and no one seems to know. My target is 225 whp and around 200 lbs tq

I have an or am getting for sure:

VJ-20 w/ BPT Turbo Manifold
Corksport Downpipe w/ 2.5" Straight Back to CS Stainless Muffler
Greddy Emanage w/ PC support Tool
3rd Gen RX-7 Fuel Pump
3rd Gen RX-7 BOV (Am positive I will be getting a different one)
All Oil & Coolant Fittings
Huge FMIC (Like 30" X 6" X 3" core)
Spec Stage 3 clutch
Home Depot DBB Boost Controller

Now for the Questions:

-I need to Know if anyone has used an Emanage?
-Should I get RX-7 N/A 460cc injectors or Turbo II 550cc? (I think I can control both using the Emanage)
-What Size IC piping?
-Do I need a FMU or FPR? As long as I have the Emanage with the injector control will I need it??
-What Gauges do I get? I am going to be getting the 3 Pod (cause I have Auto Seatbelts) so I was thinking Boost, A/F, and ???
-Is there anything I am missing?

Thank you for your help!
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: Needed Help on Turbo BP Setup

Post by Josh »

BuGS wrote:Ok I have tried other places and no one seems to know. My target is 225 whp and around 200 lbs tq

I have an or am getting for sure:

VJ-20 w/ BPT Turbo Manifold
Corksport Downpipe w/ 2.5" Straight Back to CS Stainless Muffler
Greddy Emanage w/ PC support Tool
3rd Gen RX-7 Fuel Pump
3rd Gen RX-7 BOV (Am positive I will be getting a different one)
All Oil & Coolant Fittings
Huge FMIC (Like 30" X 6" X 3" core)
Spec Stage 3 clutch
Home Depot DBB Boost Controller

Now for the Questions:

-I need to Know if anyone has used an Emanage?
-Should I get RX-7 N/A 460cc injectors or Turbo II 550cc? (I think I can control both using the Emanage)
-What Size IC piping?
-Do I need a FMU or FPR? As long as I have the Emanage with the injector control will I need it??
-What Gauges do I get? I am going to be getting the 3 Pod (cause I have Auto Seatbelts) so I was thinking Boost, A/F, and ???
-Is there anything I am missing?

Thank you for your help!
-you might have to have a shop do the Emanage. if you get it working properly it will be way better than the apexi AFC.
-i would go with the 460 their kinda too big as it is for the setup
-use 2" to 2 1/4" pipign if you go too big you will get more lag the quicker the spool the better
-the fuel presure regulator should work just fine.
-you should get an EGT gauge, kinda expensive but well worth it
-i think you pretty much gor everything covered. you will probably be making somewhere around what you want pretty easy. espically if you get the Emanage working good.
What

Post by What »

If you are using the VJ20, don't bother with the huge injectors, try to get something smaller. Larger injectors, especially the ones from the RX7don't handle lower idle pulsewidths very well and trying to tune your car for driveability and gas mileage with the smaller VJ20 will be a pain with the 440s+.

I would personally start out right with a proper wideband air/fuel gauge over the EGT. The EGT gauges can be hard to read, misleading at times (why did my motor blow, my egts are only bla bla bla), and slower to react. I can bet that nearly all dyno shops when they bring in a car will tune with wbo2, and will not try tuning on EGTs alone. I would not buy a cheap autometer attach to your stock o2 narrowband o2 gauge to tune a turbo set up with. The wbo2s are expensive although they are getting cheaper and price will depend on the options that you want with it. AEM UEGO and Dynojet WBC are two of the gauge-style wbo2s. The Dynojet has the ability to datalog directly to software, whereas the AEM does not. Beyond the ones that resemble normal gauges, there are again, many options.

A proper FPR (not rising rate) allows another way to fine tune a/f... I personally think they are worth while when you are working with stock ECUs and trying to tune around them.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

-Well I was thinking of getting a A/F with the Wideband... But do I really need a FPR? Or will the MX-3 Or Protege one be good enough? I would think that it would.

- And unless someone have some like 370cc injectors they want to sell me for $35 I think I will go witht he RX7 460 ones. according to the emanage paperwork I can use the 550s easy. They can control Injectors up to 150% bigger (stock ones are like 230cc so thats 575cc?). The GTX 330cc would be maxed out all the time so I don't want to run those.

-I will also have a shop either in Seattle or Portland Tune the emanage. It matters if I can get my exhaust and parts from Corksport picked up by my brother if his car is still there...

- And Has anyone had any actual expeirence with a Turbo BP witht he VJ-20 that they want to throw some pointers to me? Thanks!
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

dude thoes 330cc will work just fine. they are plenty of fuel. with that Emanage you can make your injectors turn out more fuel as well as less.

and your brothers car is still down there. that sux. that would be like 8 or so months now rite
What

Post by What »

BuGS wrote:-Well I was thinking of getting a A/F with the Wideband... But do I really need a FPR? Or will the MX-3 Or Protege one be good enough? I would think that it would.

- And unless someone have some like 370cc injectors they want to sell me for $35 I think I will go witht he RX7 460 ones. according to the emanage paperwork I can use the 550s easy. They can control Injectors up to 150% bigger (stock ones are like 230cc so thats 575cc?). The GTX 330cc would be maxed out all the time so I don't want to run those.

-I will also have a shop either in Seattle or Portland Tune the emanage. It matters if I can get my exhaust and parts from Corksport picked up by my brother if his car is still there...

- And Has anyone had any actual expeirence with a Turbo BP witht he VJ-20 that they want to throw some pointers to me? Thanks!
it's the design of hte injectors from the rx-7 I don't like. don't handle low pulse-widths, high frequencies, or extreme pressures very well. Spray pattern, atomization suffer and the injectors go static too easy. Emanage doesn't care 100% about your driveability and gas mileage. I tested many injectors at the ol tuning shop in our injector lab, I'm just not a fan of the rx-7 injectors (similar to what RC engineering has, smaller scale). My turbo BP will not be running them. I don't recall what the BPT I tuned in the summer was running for injectors. He wasn't happy with his gas mileage whatever they were, although that was probably his heavy right foot.

The FPR adds another area to tuning on any turbocharged vehicle... not neccessary, but more control is nice.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

also, with using the itty bitty vj20, a 3" i/c is a little big. it doesn't flow enough to use up the i/c completely which could affect the effeciency of your setup.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Josh wrote:dude thoes 330cc will work just fine. they are plenty of fuel. with that Emanage you can make your injectors turn out more fuel as well as less.

and your brothers car is still down there. that sux. that would be like 8 or so months now rite
Well Someone Said that the 330cc won't last too long if I was to get those because it wouldn't be good to be running at 100% for long periods....

But If anyone knows where I can get some 330cc ones or somthing please help.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

I have a set of 330's from my GTX engine if you'd like.

P.M me if you are interested.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

BTW

I am currently getting enough Money to get

-370CC injectors (thanks Shady)
-Turbo XS H-RFL (Frikken Loud BOV)
-Emanage Ignition Control harness
-2" or 2 1/4" IC piping (right now 2 1/4" is cheaper :? )
-EGT (cheaper than A/F setup), Boost (cause I need it), and Water Temperature (because I am haveing a huge FMIC and the turbo is coolant cooled)

Any comments?

THANKS!
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

You should'nt need another water temp gauge if your dash water temp gauge works. My GTX engine runs as cool as the old B6 I had in before. The gauge NEVER reads over halfway. You could save a few dollars if you wanted to. :)
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Well I was thinking of just geting another one just to have a more accurate reading gauge. My stock on never goes over halfway either. So sometimes that scares me. Maybe get a oil pressure gauge, or oil temp. Any suggestions? I have Automatic Seatbelts So I need a Third gauge to put in there.
What

Post by What »

again, egt sucks to tune with.... a/f first, even if it is more costly. The AEM uego and innovative LM1 are some cheap pre-built options and worth it. I've used many different types of wbo2, and I haven't come accross one that was so out of whack I wouldn't reccomend it.

Seeing as half the guys on here have never tuned a car, if you'd like to know my credentials, pm.

Return to “Forced Induction”