How much HP can it handle?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
RazorMX-3

How much HP can it handle?

Post by RazorMX-3 »

How much HP can the 1.6 DOHC handle (with a trubo) before you have to start replacing parts like pistons (lower compression?) Rods, bearings etc.. So just the standard engine with a turbo. And how much PSI can you run on a standard engine.
I've read on Racingmazda that they will do engine rebuilds. I read that they only change the rods pistons and bearings and that you than can tune it to over 300hp. Is this true.

Your help is appreciated
mx3racer

hum....

Post by mx3racer »

well i was going to do that but some jerk did it and he ran 8lbs fine but he said that it could hold up too 15 to 18lbs but i dont know about that. i would say 5 to 8lbs safely but you will have to build the guts if you want it to last. oh and the jerk blow his up...lol :D
torpedan

Re: hum....

Post by torpedan »

mx3racer wrote:well i was going to do that but some jerk did it and he ran 8lbs fine but he said that it could hold up too 15 to 18lbs but i dont know about that. i would say 5 to 8lbs safely but you will have to build the guts if you want it to last. oh and the jerk blow his up...lol :D
For the most part the level of boost you can safley run is more related to proper engine mangment. The DOHC B6 or P are both very stout motors and can handle boost quite well. Check out miata forums sometimes to see what the max people have pushed on stock motors is.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”