Update on Project SPOOLN U

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
JWMotorsports

Update on Project SPOOLN U

Post by JWMotorsports »

Here is how the turbo is mounted and a comparison of size to the VJ-14. Controlling the monsters pressure will be a Tial Sport 44mm wastegate utilizing V-Band Flanges.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
TEAMpK

Post by TEAMpK »

Man...that is frickin sweeeeeeeeeeet. Glad to see your doing something original man. I can't wait to see that when it's done. Keep it up.
Tim - http://www.TEAMpK.net (formerly known as pkmx-3)
94 MX-3 RS JDM B6T
What

Post by What »

Why are you going with such long tubing with the header? Old turbo Indy cars revved beyond 16,000rpms and had more purpose for such things.

You have a nice looking car and it sounds like you are going to try for big power one day... why not just do the manifold once? it's hard to make something show and perform well. The heat loss with the tremndously long primaries means more lag time, high under hood temps, etc. etc. etc.

Should look cool like a dual or quad turbo set up would though.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Originally I was going to do a Larsen style manifold....but there are a few reasons I chose this setup over it. Notice how high the turbo is.....heat rises. The ideal length runner is around 22 inches from center of the valve to the turbine. Take a look at the manifolds on a LOT of the pro drag cars (Lisa Kubo, the Ecotec's, Kenny Tran) and you'll see that their runners are just as long or longer with the turbo mounted low. By utilizing equal length runners you can harness the scavenging ability of a NA header system which will increase internal exhaust velocities. The down side is like you said you loose some heat. However the scavenging sould atleast if not more than make up for the small amount of heat I'll lose. I'm also changing and doing something you don't see by making my manifold a 4-2-1 design. Lag isn't the worst thing in the world, in a FWD High Power car lag is some what your friend. My car is more for the track (Street class) than the street. By utilizing the 4-2-1 the manifold should scavenge better and the merge of the gases on a small angle should accelerate them faster to the turbine. All bends are as smooth and suddle as possible. The other advantages of locating the turbo over the tranny is it shortens the IC piping, & exhaust pipes and it gets rid of a LOT of bends. This will help control the lag and raise the power out put. The manifold, turbo, and down pipe will all be ceramic coated at a minimum. Ceramic coating holds a LOT more heat inside the system where you need it. A friend of mine had his turbo ceramic coated and you could lay your hand on the turbo (mind you it was warm but not scorching). Later I'd like to ditch the front mount for a large Liquid to air IC, stuffing it between the radiator and block under the turbo manifold. That move alone will shorten the IC track a few more feet! The car isn't for show at all (I like to keep the install clean though). I've completly gutted the back half of the car taking it to the NOPI Street class limits. The car with me in it should weigh around 2100lbs. Future plans are calling for a kevlar front end (one piece if I can) wich will DRASTICALLY reduce weight below that. I'm going for a 9 sec FWD streetable (well street legal) car. My current plans have a power to weight ratio capable of 9.5's @ around 160MPH. Traction will be the only thing callenging me, which is part of what the custom front end will address! My current test setup should pull mid to high 11's @ 13psi (enough to get me kicked off the track for no roll cage). I'm planing on making some passes at MIR and Dinwiddie in April for those that wanna see it.

B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

PS......

If you think the turbo manifold is wild wait till you see the High Volume/ High Velocity Intake manifold I designed using UGNX2 CAD Software after hours at work (I'm a Design Engineer)! The top half is similar to a 1st Gen Talon Sheet Metal Intake Manifold but I have long velocity stacks with both volume and velocity in mind. I'll also have a 75mm Mustang Throttle Body, 3in. IC Pipe from it to the IC w/ 2.5in IC Pipe from the IC to the Turbo.
What

Post by What »

The joy of automotive building.. compromise. I hadn't really noticed any 'good' posts from you in the threads that I got a chance to read, so it was worth a check up. Balls to the wall drag car definetely will employ some different strategies than those not needing that 10,000rpm redline like the ecotec drag car. Scavenging theory is good, wayyy back to the Crossley scavenging engine in the late 1800s... potentially minimizing exhaust residuals in the combustion chamber with such designs, also good. Turbos can certainly add backpressure, but can also aid scavenging. I've heard of some very low pressures on some turbo Supras (coming from partial Supra background)... using some of the shorter, minimal bend, equal length, radiused, ceramic coated headers making big power with decent driveability tend to do it for me (wouldn't want to touch the ceramic headers on the Supra after a hot lap though).

At this level of tuning, it becomes much more involved than just putting on a header as I know you know. To continue further it would just go into engine design and I'm just interested in being kept up to date on how it perfrorms.... as would the majority of the forum for sure. Best of luck on the project.
Ma-Ze

Post by Ma-Ze »

i dont really dig the concept of your manifold, but hey, whatever works. its gonna be tight fit if that even works, you still need a scatter shield to run in NDRA, where are you going to run the down pipe? behind the transmission? just wanted to let you know a one piece front end is not allowed in the street classes, sportsman classes are limited to only a few light weight body parts.
92 MX-3 RS,
Racing Mazda turbo kit. 451 WHP @ 25 psi
12.1 @ 117 mph w/318whp
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/652555
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

Hey Jeremy!! I was looking around at some turbo stuff and found this extremely sexy B-Series Honda turbo manifold...
Case in point, JWMotorsports' runners may appear to be overkill but when you look at race manifolds they are just about right. The man did his homework...
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Well....I'll get that thing done eventually...LOL.

I stupidly tac welded the SS runners together with Mild Steel wire because I didn't have SS wire and shielding gas. Now I get to disect them and cut all the mild steel welds out. I was gonna tig it but, my down pipe material is SS also. The gas regulator and tubing is on the way and I'm going to go get some .030" SS Mig wire. Then we'll ...... getter done! I'm going to take my dyno money and invest it into a Wide Band O2 setup. Then I'm gonna need Shay to assist in the tuning....cuz one person is going to have their hands full just trying to keep the car on the test track!!! Have any of you guys heard anything about the PLX Devices M-300 or M-500 series wide band kits? Check it out http://www.plxdevices.com Is it just me or is the M-250 a spitting image of the AEM??? AEM wide band $480....PLX M-250 $422. I'm probably going w/ the M-300 budget pobably won't make it for the M-500. They use the same O2 as the AEM and claim the AFR is acurate to .1 AFR, same as AEM. A guy I know dynoed his 500WHP LS1 turbo Firebird (muffler mount turbo) and the AEM was right there with the dyno's wide band the whole time.
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

WOT Tuning... :2thumbsup: I'm gonna need a helmet lol

off-topic: I'll trade ya a NICE B6T Bottom end for some 440 injectors and a little dough... :wink: Seriously. I was going through reciepts today and I've got like $750 easy in it.
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale

Return to “Forced Induction”