headers

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hoffman_BMX89

headers

Post by hoffman_BMX89 »

ok i am looking at buying the OBX headers of the PSI site so ive been doing a little research here and there and i noticed that i have like 3or4 02 sensors i think i have 3 i dont even remember now i got one on each manifold and then one on the downpipe is this normal because the headers only come with 2 02sensor bongs and there is no sensor bong on the y-pipe so i guess i will have to fabricate one thats bull**** i hate having to customize things my car is also a 96 so its obd2 i think this i why i have that extra sensor i am also looking into doing a motor swap 96-98 probe gt motor so i can keep it obd2 will this motor have the same amount of 02sensors because if i doesnt then i will just put the headers on when i do the swap
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

they are for OBD-I cars. I think bosal or hotshot makes a OBD-II version of the headers for the probe which fit your car.

ALthough welding in an extra bung is easy for any exhaust place to do so I don't see what the problem is :shrug:
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: headers

Post by IanL »

hoffman_BMX89 wrote: ....i am also looking into doing a motor swap 96-98 probe gt motor so i can keep it obd2 will this motor have the same amount of 02sensors....
Yes, but you will have to 100% cross-wire your ECU harness to the Probe ECU - it looks like Mazda wanted to make the swaps more difficult, so they ensured no commonality between the OBDII MX-3 pin-outs and the OBDII KL.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
UK_MX3

Post by UK_MX3 »

so if i get the hotshot style headers will they fit my mx? 94 uk model 1.8 v6?
thanks
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

UK_MX3 wrote:so if i get the hotshot style headers will they fit my mx? 94 uk model 1.8 v6?
thanks
Your car should have two O2 sensors, so yes.
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

I would contact Pat directly, as OBX no longer sells the headers. Check in the group buy section, Pat (from PSItuning) has a group buy going for them.
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

aye..... :shock:
i have a 97 engine in my 93 mx. would the newer engine be OBDII? shouldnt there be a problem? all my wires are hooked up fine :?
92 Autozam AZ3
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Sam Baker wrote:aye..... :shock:
i have a 97 engine in my 93 mx. would the newer engine be OBDII? shouldnt there be a problem? all my wires are hooked up fine :?
The differences between OBDII and I are ECU, harness, EGR control and O2 sensors. The engines are the same.
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

there is a third O2 sensor near the catalyser and you may need to weld a new bung for it on your headers. Not too much of a problem if you have a welder, or are getting it done by a shop.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

bmwm3guy wrote:there is a third O2 sensor near the catalyser and you may need to weld a new bung for it on your headers. Not too much of a problem if you have a welder, or are getting it done by a shop.
If that's a reply to Sam, I think it misses the point. If he has an OBDI harness in his car, and is therefore using an OBDI ECU, he has no use for the third O2 sensor.
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Hoffman do you know youre going to fabricate the EGR pipe yourself too?
take a look at this thread http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=37478

And i dont think that OBX is stoping the sales of theese headers, it was SSAutochrome that stopped..
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”