Power door lock problem.....

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Chiggles

Power door lock problem.....

Post by Chiggles »

As it gets colder, for whatever reason my passenger side door lock seems to get stiffer to move. My driver's side has no problems, and since both are powered, they should both click and move in sync when I control the lock on the driver's side, right? Well, when I go to lock/unlock the doors with my driver's side switch, I can hear that the passenger side lock still clicks inside, but it doesn't seem to follow through all the way; I still have to manually reach over and push the switch over a bit more to make sure it actually locks/unlocks. Even with my keyless entry, I still have this problem, and it seems to get even harder to move in the winter as it gets colder. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?? What do I do to fix it, and does anyone know how much??
What I drive: A Cybertronian disguised in the form of a Creek Blue Mica 95 MX-3 GS. :driver:
Long term goal: Fabricating a new transformation cog! :welder:
Typhoonk

Re: Power door lock problem.....

Post by Typhoonk »

are they both aftermarket motors, or are they stock?

if there stock they might be wearing out. If they are aftermarket they might be cheap, or the mounting needs to be tighenned.
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

Stock. What needs to be done and how do I do it if that's the case??? What's the difference between the lock motor, the actuator, and the solenoid??? I'm not even sure how many screws there are to remove the door panel, let alone track where they are. I don't want to force the panel off too much, cuz that's what someone did to the driver's side panel before I got the car, and so there's a small crack in the panel up near the front end at the top where the mirror is.

<small>[ December 12, 2004, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Chiggles ]</small>
What I drive: A Cybertronian disguised in the form of a Creek Blue Mica 95 MX-3 GS. :driver:
Long term goal: Fabricating a new transformation cog! :welder:
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

:bump: to an old thread. Being that the warmer's weather now, I don't have any issues locking/unlocking the passenger side lock manually. Although, I can't seem to remotely lock it, but I can still unlock it remotely. And I think that has something to do with my newest issue. Just yesterday I discovered that my driver's side lock doesn't lock properly anymore, either manually or remotely. When I go to remotely lock them, the lock doesn't fully engage. It moves a little bit, but I can't seem to move it all the way.... I tried pushing it through from the inside with the switch on the handle, but it won't budge. It's as though something is in the way like a there's a spring that just keeps pushing back on me. The only way I'm able to lock my driver's side door at the moment is to use the button on my remote to get it halfway going, then follow through and actually put the lock in place by sticking the key into the hole and turning it the rest of the way..... which is weird in itself cuz whatever's blocking me from using the switch on the inside of the door is also keeping me from turning the key on the outside. As in, if I don't press the remote lock button on my controller, I can't manually lock my door from the outside with the key cuz it won't turn all the way. I need to first try to power lock it remotely, then finish it off with the key. WTF???

And despite all the problems LOCKING my doors, both locks will UNLOCK just fine either remotely or manually, from the switch on the inside or outside with the key. It's just that I have problems LOCKING the door, and NOT unlocking. Anyway, because of my problems locking the driver's side lock, I believe that's why I'm having problems locking the passenger door too (remotely at least). So can anyone help me? I don't think it's a wiring problem cuz my power locks have worked perfectly fine since they were insstalled in November until now. I believe the problem is mechanical, but the question is where? Again, what's the difference between the door motor, actuator and solenoid?

Please help!!
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

if u had the auto locks installed shouldnt it be under warranty and they should fix it!:)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

I don't think it was a fault of their own though, cuz I've had that "passenger side stiffness in cold climate" thing since before I had the remote entry installed. And as I said, my driver's side had worked perfectly fine up until recently. I'd like to know what the root of the problem could possibly be first and see if it can be fixed on my own or if I need to take it in. I'm starting to wonder if it's really just a simple lubrication thing, but somehow, the fact that something seems obstructed in the way of turning lock in the locking process makes me think it's more a mechanical error. Not a fault of the installers, but just old parts wearing out. If I'm right, what do I look for??
clarkandrew45
antispam: No

Post by clarkandrew45 »

Chiggles wrote:As it gets colder, for whatever reason my passenger side door lock switch seems to get stiffer to move. My driver's side has no problems, and since both are powered, they should both click and move in sync when I control the lock on the driver's side, right? Well, when I go to lock/unlock the doors with my driver's side switch, I can hear that the passenger side lock still clicks inside, but it doesn't seem to follow through all the way; I still have to manually reach over and push the switch over a bit more to make sure it actually locks/unlocks. Even with my keyless entry, I still have this problem, and it seems to get even harder to move in the winter as it gets colder. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?? What do I do to fix it, and does anyone know how much??
When my uncle had a problem with his door lock, we ask the dealer if they have aftermarket for this. Unfortunately they are not catering that. It is normal that the lock sometimes get stiffer maybe because it reacts on the temperature. You can ask if your dealer offers aftermarket for your door lock.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”