HID Conversion Group Buy?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Franko
Supporting Member

HID Conversion Group Buy?

Post by Franko »

On this site it says that there are "significant" discounts for group purchases.. I am pretty intrested in this considering how bad the stock lighting is on the mx-3. I always wanted to have a hid kit in the car and I figured if a bunch of people wanted to get in on it and get it for cheap why not? Someone else can organize it or I can I dont care but it will be intresting to see how much intrest there is in the HID conversions.. Just check out that site and tell me what you guys think..
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
fry_81

Re: HID Conversion Group Buy?

Post by fry_81 »

dont they come in white? i checked it out and only saw that they come in 3 colours, but not white.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

the 9004 HID conversion kits? regularly $400...hmm...depends on how many people. that could be sweet.

owch, slight problem. you have to disable daytime running lights for it. many places that is illigal.

<small>[ October 19, 2004, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: RoundTop ]</small>
Taras

Post by Taras »

Anything that is advertized from 6000k and up is an absolute waste of money. And an HID kit into a 9004 housing is an even worse waste of money. Why?It's been discussed before in great detail.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Discussed where? And could you be a little more specific as to why it is a waste of money? I dont believe it is or will be..
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

problem is....9004 is such a crappy light pattern to start with, hid isn't going to help much.

I had a 9004 kit on my protege at one point but sold it after realizing how worthless it was :( .

Also didn't look that cool b/c of the refraction headlights we have, instead of the clear ones like on newer cars.

Damn mazda to hell for our horrible headlights!
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

I believe the two main issues with an HID conversion in our stock lights are:

1) You are still dealing with the crappy stock lenses, with their crappy lighting pattern. You'll have more light output, yes, but still in a near-useless pattern, meaning little if any of the additional light will be on the road.

2) Because you still have to deal with their crappy lighting pattern, that means oncoming drivers will still be getting hit with all of the "light leakage" our lenses cause, only compounded by the fact that you'll have brighter bulbs, making them absolutely BLINDING to oncoming drivers.

These two factors combined mean you'll have a much higher chance of getting ticketed for your lights with not much benefit in the way of lighting...

For $400, a much better option would be to buy some good driving lights, and mount them in your front bumper.

Otherwise, you could spend LESS money (a little over half the amount), and put a bit more time and work into it and do a proper projector light conversion similar to JDM's, only with four H9 projectors instead of his bi-xenons. Sure, they wouldn't be "HID's", but you'd have significantly better lighting than stock, and if you really wanted to, you could get the ricey blue-tinted bulbs to make them LOOK like HID's.
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

I saw pictures of djpro's headlights when he was parked next to other mx-3's and the difference was very noticeable..

Now when you are talking about the mx-3s "crappy lighting pattern" not working with the HID's are you speaking from personal experience with them?

<small>[ October 20, 2004, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Franko ]</small>
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

don't do it
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

Hey Franko, I think the idea is great! But if ive learned one thing about this board and boards like this, don't post stuff like this. Why? Well cuz everyone thinks there an "expert" and will just shoot you down. But like i said I think it would be cool and am interested how much it would be if you were to get a discount.
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

12000k...Wasnt aware that the human eye was capable of seeing ultraviolet. Update I haven't downloaded yet? :roll: .

Spending $400 on a cheap set (any "HID" above 4100k is worthless, excluding phillup 5000k bulbs) of HID lighting is a waste of money. You can achieve the "projector look" and high quality lighting with Hella 90mm for ~$55 a piece.

Granted, you won't have the ultraviotlet illumination that we all can see, but as JP pointed out, there is nothing preventing you from buying those nice ebay bulbs.

<small>[ October 20, 2004, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: MX3-Freak ]</small>
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Thanks Money. I know how people can be sometimes. Just try asking about swapping a bpt in.. See what kind of responses you get.. It seems almost like everyone is trying to make it seem more difficult than it actually is.. Saying that you need a different harness when you dont.. saying how hard fitting everying is.. Mine went in like a dream... Couldent be better..
Taras

Post by Taras »

Originally posted by Franko:
Discussed where? And could you be a little more specific as to why it is a waste of money? I dont believe it is or will be..
Franko,
Here are a few links to some of the old and a bit controvercial topics for you:
Link1
Link2
Link3

Cheers
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

Originally posted by Franko:
Thanks Money. I know how people can be sometimes. Just try asking about swapping a bpt in.. See what kind of responses you get.. It seems almost like everyone is trying to make it seem more difficult than it actually is....
Franko,

Check this site, it might give you another point of view on the issues of HID kits : Link1
Link2
Link3

Also check this Forum and search for HID kits and see how many problems people have with them due to quality of components, legality and crappy beams.

Seems like you are displeased with people's comments to your question that you have posted on the public forum. Ultimately, it's your money. Go ahead, get it, drive with it for a year and let us know what you think. Do your research either before, online, or by trial and error. Learn from your own mistakes or from others'.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

What about this...

Marshmallow15 said:
"i LOVE my phillips hid kit. i have a comparison pic against a garage that i can show you. just drop me a line @ aim whenever."

The_Great_Tonge said:
"jademx3turbo and i have bulbs from lexus veichles and djpro has a drop in kit and we all love it."

DJPRO said:
"A satisfied HID MX'er.

later,
dee"

"I currently have HID's in my MX-3. I drive on the city and on back roads through all weather conditions without any problem. With these babies, you can see everything."

I am sorry jdm.. But if you look at all those posts that were made the people who actually have them installed in their mx-3's love them.. You just killed your arguement by showing those links.. It would seem that it comes down to people who actually have them saying that they work and they love them and you and aiden, who I can only assume dont have them, telling the guys who have hid kits that they arent any good. I'm not trying to start an arguement or anything but the fact of the matter is that the top car makers in the world put hid kits in their cars because they are by far better than anything else and if djpro, the_great_tonge, jademx3turbo and marshmallow15 are as happy with their kits as they are then that is good enough for me. If 4 random mxers from 4 random places agree that a hid kit is awesome in the mx-3 then I'm sold..

I dont want to start a whole thing with you here jdm I am sure you are a good guy, it just seems that by those posts you need to calm down a little. No ones an expert on anything.. It was supposed to rain today and guess what, its sunny.. The guy who predicted that gets paid for it...

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”