HID CONVERSION WITH NEW FACTORY LIGHTS

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.

HID CONVERSION WITH NEW FACTORY LIGHTS

Post by Guest »

After seeing the many nice different headlight conversions on this site, I decided to come with a slightly different approach. I'm buying new factory stock lights and a HID Helios conversion kit that'll run about $600.I know it'll cost a nice amount for eveything, but I beleive in the long run, I'll have one of nicest light displays out there for a mx3....(mine is a 93 RS).
The reason I decided to buy new factory headlights instead of the Honda Civic model is simply because with the high intensity light display that'll be coming from the HID system....( the light system power from the bulbs will be at 12000k) the pattern on the new factory lenses will show a very full light display across the lens, not to mention that I won't have to do anything extra to the new factory headlights expect plug and play.
So, tell me what you guys think about this endeavor I'm about to take and have you guys thought about doing the same? I'll have pics of the before and after as soon as I can. It's gonna be incredible!

Re: HID CONVERSION WITH NEW FACTORY LIGHTS

Post by Guest »

TYPO! I SAID THE LIGHTS WOULD LIGHIING AT 120000k......... I MEANT 12000K !LOL!
Ramdao

Post by Ramdao »

take those pictures soon, I want to see them.

Post by Guest »

Will do Ramdao! As soon as I can.
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

IF it is OEM then it is not 12000K. OEM's are either phillups/osram 4100k bulbs. There are a few with a phillups 5000k bulb, but that is as far as the quality OEM bulbs go. Bulbs boasting above pillups and osram are junk, and usually dont perform to advertised numbers. Besides, it is the cut off line that provides that "cool" color, not the temp of the bulb.
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt

Post by Guest »

Yes it is true about the temp of the bulbs you're refering to and as we all should know by now, a HID system, actually shows the discharge so in the long run, the bulbs will last longer and shine at a lower wattage. Have you thought about trying out a HID system yet? Read up on the Helios system. It took me a few weeks to decide on this and I'm happy with the choice I've made.

Post by Guest »

You also corrected me on something. I didn't mean to write that I'll be using new headlights............... the Helios system comes with the type of bulbs needed for the app. I meant that I will be buying new OEM spec headlight assemblies altogether, not the bulb.
Taras

Post by Taras »

HaHaHa, 12K bulbs. Don't waste your money, Sorry, I think the post above have summarized it well enough for you.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com

Post by Guest »

I'll post the pics of before and after in a few weeks and we'll see who'll be laughing then. A friend of mine uses the same Helios system in his 2001 Honda Accord coupe and the results are spectactular. Funny thing about this site is I've noticed when someone usually has a new approach to somethng on there mx3, you always have those on here that trash it.

!DON'T HATE............ APPRECIATE!
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Originally posted by JRO 75:
I'll post the pics of before and after in a few weeks and we'll see who'll be laughing then. A friend of mine uses the same Helios system in his 2001 Honda Accord coupe and the results are spectactular. Funny thing about this site is I've noticed when someone usually has a new approach to somethng on there mx3, you always have those on here that trash it.

!DON'T HATE............ APPRECIATE!
There's nothing to appreacite about 12000K!!!

I never knew that humans could see the ultraviolet now??? :2thumbsup:

We'll still be lauging after you post pics, so don't waste your time.
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

IMO 12k is a but outrageous, but hey we all like diff things. For some where performance isn't the focus that blue tinge does give the appearance a kick. Just watch the aiming, with a colour temp that high you can easily be a glare monster

For me I'm sticking with 4100k 'cuz I'm trying to squeeze as much useable light as I can out of the projectors (ended up getting 1st gen Hella bixenons).

I've no doubt the Halios will be a killer setup, they're long sought after by lots of retrofitters, and this guy on the hid forum's got a whole stack of them :)

One thing I'm not getting quite clearly is how you're gonna setup, you mentioned getting new stocking housings and the halios would be plug and play? Could you elaborate a bit? Always nice to see new ideas.

Eugene
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Originally posted by JRO 75:
Yes it is true about the temp of the bulbs you're refering to and as we all should know by now, a HID system, actually shows the discharge so in the long run, the bulbs will last longer and shine at a lower wattage. Have you thought about trying out a HID system yet? Read up on the Helios system. It took me a few weeks to decide on this and I'm happy with the choice I've made.
Ive spent about 4 months reading about HID, and I can't bring myself to actually buy one way or anther - there are just to many damn possibilites. As for your 12k set-up, if you don't believe me or the other 4 or 5 people that have already posted, maybe you should try reading this:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

I find them a lot more informative then adds trying to sell products.

As for "hating", I do not. All I'm simply trying to do is prevent wasted money on inferior products by others on this board. But hey, if it is your to burn, go right ahead and grab the torch.

Good luck with your lights.... :roll:

<small>[ July 05, 2004, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: MX3-Freak ]</small>
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
Taras

Post by Taras »

Eugene, I think you are confusing Helios with Valeo....

So, I actually went and did a search on "Helios" - nada produced. So, I would like a link to the actual system so I can see what is this all about.

Btw, I did not "hate" your choice, I just told you not to waste your money, but as Mx-3 Freak told you, it's your to burn. 12K-30K is ultraviolet alright. Not very bright is it? I guess you never mentioned that it will be bright. "Spectacular" it will be. Oh, and your approach is not new. Retrofit kits have been around for a while, so have UV 12K HID bulbs. Unless this is something very different that I don't know about. Sorry, this may sound like I am trashing on your parade, but you did ask for opinions.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

You're right I did confuse Halios with Valeos, late night and looong weekend :)

Just to stay in the clear side of the shore, I was toning down with considerable amount of moderation. I don't quite agree with the 12k setup either, but that's just me.

Eugene
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

I did a search and i found these heliolite kits:

Site # 1
Site # 2

and for helios:

Helio site

those kits come in 5k, 6k, 7k and 12k see kits here

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”